Running Garageband

Reaction score
Hey. The new iLife looks great. But i was wondering about how something worked, and how well they work. First of all, would Garageband run pretty good on a Mac Mini do you think? And i have a few quesiotns about garageband. Can you plug your guitar or keyboard in and record into garageband, and it will show the notes that you've played? Can you make your own music in it, like pick the note names, note duration, and time/key signatures to make your own song? If anyone has a good review on garageband (even the 2004 version), it would be nice to read.

Thanks everyone for your input :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2.6ghz Quad Xeon, 23" Cinema
I have only used the 04 version. I use it to record rough ideas for songs for my band with my guitar. I'd recommend using a pre-amp device like a pod or something similar; garage band has built-in effects but plugging a guitar directly into the computer sounds like garbage (at least on a les paul!). It lets you choose the bpm, and key also. There is also an on screen keyboard you can use, although I have never used the actual program to compose music. I have pieced together a lot of loops, and recorded my guitar but never written parts within the program.

OP
shaun89
Reaction score
Ok. Thanks for the reply. I know this is probably a stupid question, but what do you mean by using a pre-amp device? Is that plugging your guitar into your amp, then from the line out on your amp to the computer?

And what kind of mac do you run garageband on? (specs)

D

Danster

i think Gort means using an effects pedal not necercerily using the effect but just sticking your guitar into the POD/pedal then the pedal into the line in port on your mac

(specs under avatar) but i haven't really used garage band yet

still learning the blasted guitar lol :p

P

phatsew

Garage band can accept any signal that you put through an input. You can use your Mac's line in, if you have one, straight from your guitar or your amp. Garageband doesn't really model amps well at all, so if you have an amp with a line out, just use that. I have used the line out on my line6 amp with a 1/4" to 1/8" adapter. Then just hit record.

What they were talking about earlier is not a pedal, but an amp modeler. This is a small tabletop device that emulates guitar amps. The one mentioned is the Line6 Pod. http://www.activemusician.com/store/product.asp?sku=EM.99-060-0405&c=&nav=r

With that, you could plug your guitar directly into it, and it into the Mac. Then in GarageBand, make a new track. choose "real instrument" and assign it to that track. Then hit record and you're on your way. However, if you have an amp with a line out, you could just use that.

Personal specs are a dual G4 1.42 running Pro Tools LE through a Digidesign 001.

I've used Garageband extensively though and it's a great beginners program.

P

phatsew

Oh yeah, to address your question about notation - the new Garageband does have real time notation, meaning that the notes you play through something like a sequencer or MIDI controller will be displayed in notation as you play them. Much like the Finale suite. However, at this time they're not saying if it works with anything besides MIDI, or if you can enter in notation and assign it to a sequence patch or loop. So it's unsure at this time if real time notation will happen with your guitar, which is not a small feat, or just with a MIDI controller keyboard.

OP
shaun89
Reaction score
Ok You said you wetn form teh line out on ur Line6 amp to the computer. Well i go from to line out on my Fender amp and when i record there is alot of hissing and fuzz in the back ground. How are you achieving clear noise? Do YOU use the pedal?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.