New Macbook, trying to use external hardrive when music is stored. Now the problem...

Reaction score
Hi Guys

I've just recently bought a new Macbook and want to be able to use my external hard drive that i've built my iTunes libary on over a period of time from my pc days.

I connected the external hard drive to my MacBook and it found it no problem.

The problem then started when i tried to move (as a test) a couple of albums into my iTunes libary on my mac and instead of playing the music from the external hard drive, it proceeded to instead copy the selected files i'd moved into my libary on the mac on the mac's new and unused hard drive, which is something i definitely don't want.

Is there a way or an option i can check whereby i'm using my external hard drive to only play music on have on there and put new stuff on of course as opposed to having it immediately copied to the Mac's Hard Drive?

Thanks everyone

Jonathan

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MB 2.1GHz, 4Gb RAM, 120Gb white
I pretty much had the same problem not too long ago, you want to go into the iTunes preferences, advanced. then change the music directory to that of the HDD
Grabup Image
After you have done this drag and drop the music over onto iTunes :)
hope i've helped

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.