Help! My iMac is dying.

Reaction score
I have an iMac G5 with OS 10.4.11. My computer crashed by going blank screen and a loud fan noise. I have seen this before so I secured power. When I went to start it up again, the power light comes on and after a couple minutes I hear the loud fan noise, but nothing else is happening. Blank screen, no startup sound, fan noise.
I know the computer isn't in great shape - I was told by a repair shop the computer has a bad logic board. I brought it in the shop because I was getting a flashing folder w/ ?, grainy display and a diagnosis code for the Video RAM of 2ATI/1/4:113-xxxxx-113.
I plan to buy a new computer, but I sure would like to recover the data that's in this one.
Can anyone help me get into the computer so I can at least do a more recent back up?
Thanks,
Michael Wagner

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
You'll have to take the case apart to get at the hard drive inside, for which you'll probably need to pay a professional.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.