Battery and Cold Weather

Reaction score
I have a 13" Macbook and I left it out in my car last night. I'm sure the temp dropped into the 30's. This morning when I plugged it into the power adapter it worked fine, but the battery symbol at the top had a big X on it. I'm unable to turn the laptop on without it being plugged in. Did the cold weather kill my battery? If I wait a couple days, will it work again or should I buy a new one?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 17" 10.4.8, G4 "Graphite" 10.4.8
I would wait a few days before purchasing a new one. I'd leave it charging and just forget about it for a bit. When you go back, if it still doesn't work take a trip to the apple store.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM MacBook, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
I heard that as you use your computer, and you charge it the battery naturally heats up. Your battery is technically "dead" due to its inability to function, but if you give it 5 days, it may be able to function again. If not, take it to the almighty Apple Store.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.4 GHZ, 2G Ram, 160 GB HD| iPhone 4
This happened to a friend of mine last winter when his car broke down in the snow and he forgot his laptop was in it. it took him 2 or 3 days for the battery to start working again.

OP
M
Reaction score
It's such a relief to hear that! I was really worried I might need a new one. I'll just leave it plugged in this week and hope for the best. Thanks you guys! :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.