Finder quit with .HDR files.

Reaction score
Hi,
I am having a problem where there is probably a simple reason ie not enough ram maybe.

Whenever i select a .HDR file (a radiance image file) in the finder, it always crashes when it is drawing up the preview. This only happens on .HDR files that are over 100mb (or there abouts). It doesn't matter whether i have programmes open or not the result is always a finder relaunch

Is it that the computer just can't cope with that size of hdr file, and crashes out as it draws the preview. Maybe if i upgrade to 4GB ram it will be good?

Oh! I am running a MBP 2.4Ghz 2Gb ram 256Mb Graphics.

TIA for any help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.6Ghz | 200GB 7200 | 4GB Ram | 32GB iPod Touch 2G
I create .HDR files often using both Photomatix and PhotoAcute, I've never actually seen an .HDR file icon show as a preview, only ever as the default .HDR file icon. I've never had the finder crash when dealing with these though, so can't help you there, your MBP specs should easily handle the file size.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.