iMac Power Supply

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.66Ghz Penryn C2D iMac
I recently downloaded the full version of iStat, I noticed something rather alarming. My PSU temp of my iMac can reach upwards of 70 degrees Celsius when I am doing a lot of gaming or virtualizing Windows. Maybe this is the reason so many iMacs go belly up so early. I run SMCFan control at 2600 RPM on all three fans and the PSU never gets above 40.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Yep, components get hot.

You can either forget it or spend your time worrying over something that should never have any problems and that you can't change anyway.

I don't know of any alumnium iMacs going 'belly up' from overheating.

OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.66Ghz Penryn C2D iMac
I am an electronics engineer and that's WAY outside of "normal" operating temperatures for a power supply of any design. When we are designing power supplies we shoot for no more than 50C at full load in a 100F burn-in chamber, and some of our designs make an iMac case look spacious. Look around BTW, there are a lot of threads on different Mac forums about white CD iMacs and earlier Aluminum iMacs blowing power supplies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.