Speed of my USB?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.4 ghz Intel core 2 duo, 2gb ram, 2.4ghz
I have a 2.4 ghz intel core 2 duo imac and want to buy a portable hard drive for backups. I have been looking at a Western Digital 160GB, but note that some reviewers have commented that it struggles on computers with only 400 whatsits on USB ports. I've been trying to find out how many whatsits the USBs on my computer have, but can't. Anyone help? Incidentally, I'm a novice, so no flaming pls. Also, price most definitely comes into my equations. I know it is better to buy best, but if you truly can't afford it, then........I desperately need to backup my comp.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2xiMac24 w Parallels 6 (1x White, 1x Aluminum), iPhone 3GS with iOS5
Welcome to the forum and we won't flame you if you provide us with enough information to help you, and you have.

Your iMac specs are here Apple - iMac - Tech Specs

It shows two USB ports and each one is a different speed with 800 being faster (it is in megabits per second I believe). I am not sure but I would bet in the owners manual it would tell you which port is the fastest. Some external USB devices are 400 (older) and the newer are rated at 800. If it is not too late please think about an option with Firewire which is the ideal situation for a backup drive. A little bit of money will make you do lots of backups because it is fast and the drive is usable saying only that transferring to and from a USB device can be slow.

I love Western Digital and use only their drives myself. The enclosure is where the speed hits the ground. Make sure yours has a fan if possible and firewire for speed. A cheap backup device may not be there when you need it because of overheating and/or other issues. Buy quality if at all possible.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
With respect to Chilbear, and I'm almost sure it's what he meant, 400 and 800 refer to Firewire speed (not USB).

USB2 on your machine is rated at 480 Mb/sec and that's as fast as it gets. USB on Macs isn't the greatest, so Apple say that 480 is an indicative speed, and generally qualify USB speed as 'variable'.

Do as much research into WD external drives. Lots of people use them, but read the critical reviews rather than opinions.

In your situation, with such a powerhouse Intel machine, I would strongly suggest that you go firewire, or combo firewire/USB2. Buy a reputable enclosure with a fully Mac-compatible chipset (Oxford).

I note you're in NZ (like me) but one of the better places to look for both the right type of external hard drive and a good enclosure is OWC Find the latest Performance Upgrades, Firewire and USB Hard Drives, SATA, Memory, Laptop Battery, and more at OWC

Importing hardware from the US is not hugely expensive, and for personal use you're unlikely to have to pay duty. Prices of Mac hardware in NZ are too expensive. Maybe look across the Tasman for places there, since they often mirror US sales sites. TradeMe and Zillion might have something too.

FWIW - I like Hitachi drives, reliable and quiet, with good reviews. Some will say Seagate, others Samsung, so in the end it's your choice. Happy buying!

PS. PM me if you think I can help you directly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Your Mac has USB 2.0 ports, which is as fast as it gets for USB at the moment.

External USB hard drives work fine and are plenty fast enough for backups. I have a FireWire 400 external HD and a USB one. There's no difference between them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
That's a good point Alexis and one that has bothered me for some time. I read the posts about firewire vs USB, and with all due respect to their views, I think you're right, ie. there's little difference between USB2 and f/w 400. f/w 800 however is a different matter, and I don't dispute that.

I too use a USB2 ext HD, and I have no bother viewing movies from it. In fact, that EHD gave me no end of bother using f/wire (it's a combo enclosure) because the chipset is meant for Win. I ceased using it with other than USB2.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Many thanks to you all for your responses. Unfortunately, the advice about price can't be applied for financial reasons. So I have just about made my mind up to buy a Western Digital 160GB which fits my budget (nearly). Cheers all. I meant a 120GB portable disc, not a 160GB.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unfortunately, the advice about price can't be applied for financial reasons.

Welcome to the club! For the very same reason I bought an Ice brand (Welland) combo FW/USB enclosure on TradeMe, and a Seagate 250 Gb drive from an online tech store in Akld. The Ice works fine on USB2, but not on firewire, as mentioned in my last post.

So I have just about made my mind up to buy a Western Digital 160GB which fits my budget (nearly). ... I meant a 120GB portable disc, not a 160GB.

Okay, some serious advice about portable USB (USB-pwrd) drives with Mac. Perhaps 90% of users complain about the drives "not being recognised", or otherwise not functioning properly. Reason? Lack of USB power from the ports on the Mac. Some portable USB drives require both ports on a Mac to be utilised through a USB splitter cable.

Solution? A mains-pwrd hub, which (just about) defeats the purpose of a portable drive. There is a Cyberpower battery-pwrd hub available, cost about NZ$35 (I have and use one). I can get one into NZ freight-free 4u, but then courier cost 2u within NZ would be about $10-$15 (I guess). Let me know if that could become part of your planning.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey hughvane, that sounds like me. Does the Cybrepower use AA batteries (I have a few rechargeables)? Can you give me the model number so I can look at it through google?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey hughvane, that sounds like me. Does the Cybrepower use AA batteries (I have a few rechargeables)?

No, AAA. The unit has optional charging of the batteries from the USB port on your Mac.

Can you give me the model number so I can look at it through google?

See http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/other-hardware-peripherals/118588-may-i-introduce.html
I had friends from Maine bring one out for me. They return every year, so getting stuff from the US via their good services is how I avoid freight charges. Cost to me was NZ$30.

Another way for you is to try this (from an email to me):
"YES, we do offer 'International Shipping'. For complete details, log onto our website at Digital Cameras / Electronics at RitzCamera.com - Free Shipping & No Sales Tax on Qualifying Orders, scroll down our main page and under the heading of 'Company Services', click on 'International Shipping'. Then just follow the instructions provided.
B. Garber
ritzinteractive.com
customer service rep.
"

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.