Mouse triggers through windows

Reaction score
Hi,

I registered here to report a huge annoyance I find within mac OS. I wonder if anyone expriences the same.

When you have a website open, which has functions relying on mousemovements or events, it seems that those get triggered even when the window isn't active. I've been working years with Windows and never experienced this.

I work on mac since Tiger and even Leopard has this same behaviour. This can't be on purpose, right? or is it?

Even, for instance, when you're in firefox and have the address panel fold out, when there's a button under that folded out panel and you click on an address it will also trigger that button.

Another example: I have a site running which pictures move when moving the mouse to X or Y. When I activate another window in mac, those mousemovements are still triggering the site's picture!

Has this been a topic before?

Thanks in advance for your opinions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
I've been using OS X and Safari since they have been released and can't remember this being a big issue.

I have seen a browser have problems with odd overlay issues where the button underneath was still active, but I can't remember which browser that was.

Perhaps a link to a site that displays this problem would be helpful. Or a video.

OP
S
Reaction score
as I figured out it's always with flash sites. The focus of the mouse seems to be still active even when working in another window/program.

go to this site

Open your mail for instance, click a button of your mail and then see what happened to the background picture of the site.
It's gone...somewhere in a rediculous Y value. After a while it comes back when you keep the site in front.

What happens here is: the picture of the site relies on your Y movement of mouse. So small resolutions can see the whole picture. This always stays neatly inside the browserwindow. When going to another program the Y value and limits of the browserwindow get screwed. Extremely weird and annoying.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Interesting effect. All you have to do is click the title bar of another application and the Flash image on that page disappears.

I'm guessing a bug in Flash where it somehow keeps focus on the mouse. You should report it to Adobe, and perhaps Apple too.

OP
S
Reaction score
I already did. It's a communication problem between flashplayer and macOS I guess. Strange i don't see any reports of this behaviour. Thanks for looking into it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.