G5 - The Right Choice

Reaction score
Hi all.

First post here, just hoping I could get some advice really before I go ahead and splash out on a new setup.

Ok, so. My 5 year old desktop PC just doesn't cut it anymore. After using Macs at college for the past two years I came to realise that, simply.
They just work! I always felt more efficient on OS X even though I'm more familiar with Windows, I have decided to get a Mac as it's more suited to my needs and I feel more organised and 'clean' using one. Might sound a bit silly but I'm sure some of you mac-lovers will know what I mean.

I don't really play any games any more, I need something like an all-in-one creative suite. I mostly do design work but also want to make some music, surf the web, play music, watch stuff, etc.

I would need it to be able to run these programs competently, and often two or more at once without slowing down to a grinding halt like my current PC.

• Photoshop
  • Illustrator
  • Flash
  • Logic

And a few other related programs.

It has been suggested I get a G5, I've not quite settled on what core speed to go with. I'm hoping that's something you could advise me on.

Now, I'm not expecting it to be future-proof, nothing is. I just don't want to buy it and have to upgrade again within 2 years really.

My budget for the desktop itself is about £600. I also want a new monitor as my 19" beige CRT is an eyesore and not quite big enough. Which brings me on to my next question.

This area I don't know much about and I admit I haven't done much research into. Will I be restricted in what monitors I can use with it? Only certain outputs or anything like that?

Anything else I should consider before I go ahead with a purchase next week sometime (hopefully). It has also been suggested that I wait a bit longer and save a bit more for the new Power Mac line due to be released 'soonish'.

I have been wanting to buy a new computer for a long time but just haven't had the money. I'm not particularly impatient but my work and efficiency is suffering due to my current situation. So you can understand why I'm wanting to upgrade asap.

Thanks in advance for any replies. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP (2009), White MB (2009), iMac G4
Well, buying a PowerPC Mac right now is not the best idea if you want to be at all "Future Proof". The next release of OS X, due in 2009, is widely rumored to not support PowerPC. Therefore development of software for the PowerPC platform is going to slow and eventually stop.

The Power Macs were discontinued about three years ago, so there isn't a new one coming out ever. However they were replaced by the Mac Pro. If about $900 is your budget, your going to have to save a whole lot more, since they start at $2700. However for your needs, and a bit closer to your budget, and also considering you need a new screen anyway, you might want to look at an iMac. They have plenty of power and a beautiful high resolution screen. The 24" starts at $1799, and the 20" starts at $1199. If you must spend less and get a used system, at least make sure it is Intel, since PowerPC is fading rapidly into obscurity.

OP
L
Reaction score
Hmm, you confirmed my fears about the non-intel cores. Thanks for the advice.

I don't think I want to spend that much or wait that long for the Mac Pro. An iMac is looking quite attractive now I've had a better look at the new ones. I also mean that literally, I think the silver/black is a much sexier colour scheme than the older white ones, which were actually the ones I was using at college most of the time. Nice big screen and as you say plenty of power.

I missed it off my initial list but I will require it to run video editing software as well although I'm sure it'll have no problem doing so.

For the past 10 minutes I've been drooling over the 24 inch 2.8ghz iMac model. I can stretch to that if it means having the intel core, a good 24" display and all in one sleek package.

Looking on MacRumors it says 'buy only if you need it, approaching end of cycle' about the iMac.

Looking at the latest rumour it seems to hint at an update maybe as early as Jan '09. In which case it might be worth waiting for the price drop. Similar sort of thing with the Mac Pro, it's just a case of when exactly and how much of a drop in price we can expect.

Tbh, if I brought a shiny new iMac home I wouldn't be too bothered about a price drop in a couple of months time, unless it was huuuuuuge.

Ohh, one last thing. Are these sealed units? would I be able to upgrade RAM (or anything else for that matter) at a later date?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.53 Intel Core Duo Mac Mini; 4g RAM; 350g HD, OS 10.6.3
iMacs are great. the rule is, just buy the best you can afford. Refurbed from the Apple store is another great option for a little less. welcome to the light!

OP
L
Reaction score
iMacs are great. the rule is, just buy the best you can afford. Refurbed from the Apple store is another great option for a little less. welcome to the light!

Why thank you.

I've been looking at the light from afar from a while, every now and again getting to walk past and get a better look. You could say 'through the Windows' (har har har)

Now I can finally afford it. Very exciting.

The funny thing is I always used to hate Apple, especially the friggin' iPod range (sorry, still do to some extent). These days the stuff they release is a lot better looking in my opinion. If only they made a black iMac! :eek:

I definitely won't be missing using Windows.

Edit: omg, I just searched 'black imac' on google images. Wowoweewaa!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.53 Intel Core Duo Mac Mini; 4g RAM; 350g HD, OS 10.6.3
well, the new imacs are sort of black-ish. the backs anyway. and i agree about the ipods. they get a little carried away all the different kinds. but whatev, something for everyoe i guess.

OP
L
Reaction score
Got another question, sorry. It's not really related but rather than start a whole new thread.

Do apple ever do a finance scheme with 0% APR?

Atm I can see a 15.7% typical APR over 36 months, just wondering if that fluctuates at all or if they tend to offer special rates after christmas or anything like that.

Cheers,

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.