Is it possible to build my own Mac?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I currently have a PC, which I use for video editing and simple effects work.
It's about five years old now but I've upgraded it over the years, adding more RAM and hard drives but it still has the original motherboard.

I'd love to start working on a Mac but can't really afford a brand new Mac Pro.
So I was wondering if it's possible to get hold of a Mac Pro motherboard and use my existing hard drives, ram, DVD burners etc to build a genuine Mac Pro?

I've read various 'hackintosh' tutorials but I was thinking about getting a new motherboard anyway, so if this is possible I might as well get a Mac one.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. I can't find anything about this already on the web.

Thanks

Reaction score
Building your own Mac is tricky business, because Apple is very selective about hardware support. Have you considered buying a Hackintosh from Psystar? They run Mac OS X v10.5 "Leopard" and are cheaper than Apple's machines.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply.

A google search for 'psystar' pulled up some somewhat dodgy-sounding information about them. Do you know if the company is reliable?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP (2009), White MB (2009), iMac G4
I would not recommend Psystar, and I doubt very many would. They are currently involved in a legal battle with Apple that they are very likely to lose. Therefore any future support is unlikely for anyone who buys one. Not to mention that they are just cheap rip offs which Apple could disable at any time with a software update.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Possible? Yes. Legal? No. And since we don't allow discussion of illegal behavior on this forum, this thread is now locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.