Your thoughts on Coldfusion please...

Reaction score
Hello all-

I'm really interested to hear other people's thoughts on how Coldfusion stacks up in the world of web frameworks. Is it the past or does it have a bright future?...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
I don't hear people talk about coldfusion anymore, it's always ruby, php, and .net well and javascript these days even though it's client side :)

Reaction score
Well, firstly, Coldfusion costs around 1200$.
PHP & MySQL are for free. .Net is a bit more expensive towards hosting, but also quite free.

I don't know anyone who works with CF. I have never been in touch with it and I'll never will I think. Also needs special CF hosting.

I would actually like to hear serious arguments to pay 1200$ and start using CF instead of the (almost) free alternatives with a much wider userbase and thereby support.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Go to some job websites and search for CF. Are there many listings for it? How about the other competition? If you don't find many listings, then I'd say it is dying and not worth putting time into.

This opinion comes from experience with another tool. For several years about once a year on a mailing list the question would come up; "Is this product dead?". Give the very few job opportunities, I'd say DEAD.

Reaction score
Hello all-

I'm really interested to hear other people's thoughts on how Coldfusion stacks up in the world of web frameworks. Is it the past or does it have a bright future?...

It's definitely had its day.

It was big back in the 90's but no one (at least that matters) is using it now other than legacy sites that bought into their model years ago.

Definitely not the technology to buy into now.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.