Alum Macbook memory upgrades

Reaction score
I have one of the new aluminum Macbooks and I'd like to do a memory upgrade to 4GB. It's a DDR3 type, and the manual says the new memory should be 200 pin. Is this a typo? It looks like it should be 204 pin.

If anyone can point me to a source for memory for the new Macbooks, I'd appreciate it. All the places I've checked aren't clear about whether the memory they're selling is for the old macbooks or the new ones.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM MacBook, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
I've learned that the best place to go for memory is Crucial, it works and it's a great price, 2 gigs for $60. I would highly recommend it.

Hope this helped,
Keith

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
I have one of the new aluminum Macbooks and I'd like to do a memory upgrade to 4GB. It's a DDR3 type, and the manual says the new memory should be 200 pin. Is this a typo? It looks like it should be 204 pin.

If anyone can point me to a source for memory for the new Macbooks, I'd appreciate it. All the places I've checked aren't clear about whether the memory they're selling is for the old macbooks or the new ones.

The older generation MB and MBPs used DDR2. The new Unibody Late 2008 Models are the only ones that are currently using DDR3 memory. You are right in that they are 204 pin. 200 Pin is DDR2.

List for 4GB of DDR3 RAM.

OP
D
Reaction score
The older generation MB and MBPs used DDR2. The new Unibody Late 2008 Models are the only ones that are currently using DDR3 memory. You are right in that they are 204 pin. 200 Pin is DDR2.

List for 4GB of DDR3 RAM.

Thanks all... so when the manual for my Mac says the memory needs to be a) DDR3, and b) 200 pin, that's a contradiction in terms, right?

Thanks for the recommendations.

OP
D
Reaction score
Just to follow up... I followed the Newegg link provided above, and one of the customer reviews pointed out the misprint in the manual for the new Macbooks.

Reaction score
so does this mean only macbook pro's are having problems with that memory? I also followed the link and non of them are having problems with the aluminum macbook, only the ones with the macbook pro.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.4 ghz/Iphone 4/Ipod 4th Gen/More Coming I'm sure, too bad for my wallet ;)
I thought DDR3 was supposed to be faster? Why is the Latency 7-7-7-20?

Man for these prices, you might as well just buy it from Apple...lol

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP (Mid-2015), 2.8 Ghz i7, 16GB DDR3, AMD M370X Gfx, 1 TB SSD
Pretty much. It's only slightly more expensive to buy it from Apple.

ALUMINUM MACBOOK:
Apple upgrade from 2GB to 4 GB: $150
Price of 2x 2GB DDR3 modules from crucial: $131

And the DDR3 memory is 204 pin, BTW.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
I thought DDR3 was supposed to be faster? Why is the Latency 7-7-7-20?

Man for these prices, you might as well just buy it from Apple...lol

Actually believe it or not, the latency for DDR3 comes in CAS 7,8, and 9. I just listed the 7 because that is the fastest that are currently out.

The Latency is higher because the clock cycles are shorter. DDR3 is faster than DDR2 because it has higher bandwidth IE 1600 VS 800 Mhz, and it uses 30% energy compared to DDR2. Meaning better battery life.

ALUMINUM MACBOOK:

Aye the prices that Apple gives for the upgrades are pretty decent this time around. However I don't know what brand they are using, and what the latency speeds are. Therefore I would rather go third party anyways.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" alluminum MacBook Pro 2.53

ALUMINUM MACBOOK:

Would Apple install it for free if I take it to the genius bar?

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Would Apple install it for free if I take it to the genius bar?

Well I don't see why they wouldn't. Although it's like super easy to do it yourself. I don't see why you need other people touching your precious MB and dirtying it up. >_<"

Reaction score
google memory upgrade for Mac and you'll be directed to some You Tube videos that show you how to upgrade the memory in about 90 seconds, start to finish.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.