The Notebook "Instant Fixes" Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Shamrock

I have a similar problem going on. When I boot up it goes to the ? folder and stays there. I can't start the computer in safe mode, single user mode, or any mode for that matter. I can feel a slight humming in the computer when it boots up, and sounds like maybe the hard drive is going. Is there something I can do to be sure the hard drive is the problem since I can't boot up in single user mode, I don't have a dvd drive in my ibook or an os cd. Any ideas?

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Normally when you get the question mark, the system is saying I can not find a bootable OS. It verify if your hard disk went south, you will need your install media to boot from.

It appears your problem is even more severe, since you don't have a CD/DVD drive on the system. If your system has a firewire port, then you can connect to another system using target mode. Then on the other system using disk utility you verify if your disk is okay.

S

Shamrock

rman said:
Normally when you get the question mark, the system is saying I can not find a bootable OS. It verify if your hard disk went south, you will need your install media to boot from.

It appears your problem is even more severe, since you don't have a CD/DVD drive on the system. If your system has a firewire port, then you can connect to another system using target mode. Then on the other system using disk utility you verify if your disk is okay.

I do have a cd drive, just no dvd drive in the system. Since the new os disks are dvd's, i can't really boot from a disk. I'll give the target mode a try though, thanks.

OP
Aptmunich
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Also, if you have another mac with a DVD drive, you can pop a system dvd in the other mac, and boot from that system's dvd drive using the firewire target mode.

Reaction score
my ibook g4 is acting weird as heck. When I first bought it, it wouldn't charge at all. I thought aybe the battery was dead and needed to by a new one or something. Well a couple of days ago I noticed it finally started charging. Well whenever I take the power chord out the power automatically drops to about 90 or 70 from 100. Then the popup comes up telling me that I am running on battery power. Soon after the screen turns off, but the computer stays on, because i see the white light coming from the from of the computer. As soon as i plug it back in the screen comes back on right where it was before it turned off. I tried the pram thing and was wondering if you should get a confirmation or something after you do it because I am not seeing one and dont know if I did it right.

oh yeah also another thing since i got my mac used and it doesn't have an instruction manual, what is this little gray button underneath the ibook that makes a green light come on when i push it??:ninja:

OP
Aptmunich
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Have you tried the PMU reset tip mentioned on the first page here?

The little gray button is the battery charge indicator. It is actually part of the battery, not the iBook itself and is handy if you want to check the battery's charge when it isn't plugged in to your iBook.

Reaction score
Hi there.

I'm new here but running out of ideas with my IBook G4 (OSX 10.3.9) 9.33 MHz.

I just restored it to original settings and software as it was full of 3 years worth of junk and everything was fine until I tried loading a few important things on it afterwards.

The CD rom drive would not eject the disc initially finally I managed to get it out and now it will not accept a disc into the drive?

Any ideas befor I send it off to the shop???

Thanks

Reaction score
I just bought a second hand PowerPC Aluminium 1.67ghz/512/120gb with bluetooth and all the whistles. However, upon getting home and plugging it in, I get a rapid fast orange light on the charger, and yes, I tried 2 diffrent chargers, they both do the same thing.

Can someone explain a fix for this thing ?
I get no sound, no display, nothing but a blinking orange light on the charger. really fast steadily blinking.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

.Donnie

OP
Aptmunich
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Have you tried resetting the PMU?

If you can't it might be that the power management board is broken.

You might need to either take it back (if possible) or get it fixed.

Reaction score
Powerbook G4 Orange Light Problem

Have you tried resetting the PMU?

If you can't it might be that the power management board is broken.

You might need to either take it back (if possible) or get it fixed.

Yes, I tried resetting the PMU with absolutley no response.

Upon further inspection, using one of the guides listed on your forum, i dissasembled the G4. Quite an easy task, to my surprise. I own and operate a computer store here in La, but we do not fix or sell macs. Easier than an PC notebook, thats for sure.

Anyway, back to the question.
There is a long cable that goes from the charger jack(dc input board), to the other side of the powerbook, to a connecter under the memory board cover, its a standard plug in long white connector. Looking at the bottom of the Powerbook, battery compartment at the lower half, there is a small square chip located directly next to the left side of the connecter described above. It is swollen and cracked, and looks to need to be replaced. Two solder points, easy enough, but its so swollen. I am assuming overheated, that I cannot read the #'s on the chip, I see a + on one side, but can't make anything else out on the chip. Is this on the acutal MB, or is it a seperate plug in module that can be replaced ?

Thanks for all of your help.

.DonnieK
:eek:

Reaction score
In response to Powerbook G4 1.67ghz

Ok.

Here is what has happened so far. I am very technical when it comes to onboard schematics, so I simply got out my soldering iron on my Powerbook G4. Fixed the orange light. It was a bad transistor on the powermanagment board. Now everything comes on, but stops at the loading Apple screen. with the little loading logo, and will go no further. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,
Donnie

OP
Aptmunich
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Congratulations! Sounds like you're past the worst.

Do you have the original OS discs? If you do, try booting of those (hold down 'C' at the chime / apple logo) and see if reinstalling helps.

Alternatively try resetting the PRAM and see if that'll get you further.

Reaction score
Powerbook G4 Problems

Congratulations! Sounds like you're past the worst.

Do you have the original OS discs? If you do, try booting of those (hold down 'C' at the chime / apple logo) and see if reinstalling helps.

Alternatively try resetting the PRAM and see if that'll get you further.

Ok, I will try that as soon as I get home, and let you know if it worked.
Btw, holding down the power button resets the pmu correct? How to you reset the PRAM ?

Thanks in advance.
.Donnie

OP
Aptmunich
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
First page of this thread:

(might not apply to all ibook/powerbook models)

Emergency! My iBook won't turn on! (and other power issues...)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you are experiencing trouble with power issues, such as:
- Battery charging problems
- Sudden loss of power whilst running off battery
- iBook refuses to switch on
then you might need to reset the PRAM (Parameter RAM) or the PMU (Power Management Unit).
To reset the PRAM, hold Apple-Option-P-R simultaneously at the Apple logo.
To reset the PMU, hold down “Shift-Control-Option-Power “.
(Neither of these should delete any data - some settings might be lost though)

Reaction score
Opps. Powerbook G4 Issue

First page of this thread:

(might not apply to all ibook/powerbook models)

Sorry,

I noticed that after I had posted. BUT HEY!

Great forum, great response.
I had to use the disk fix problem to make it boot up.Soooooooooo...
From a Completely dead D.O.A Powerbook G4, to a NOW COMPLETLEY PERFECTLY WORKING UNIT!

I feel like fixing another mac now :)

Keep up the great work guys and gals.
.Donnie

OP
Aptmunich
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey, well done!

Glad we could help you out - remember to pay it forward now!

Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I registered just to ask this question everyone seems to know so much about macs unlike me :(
Ive got an iBook g4 and have no idea on how to make the microphone work...
I installed Audacity to try and see if i could tape something but it just comes up with like a kinda buzzing ringing noise :( I tried testing out the settings in system preferences-sound- sound input but anything i try never works. I have to do a presentation for school in the next couple of weeks so i really need it to work.
Any help, suggestions anything would be greatly appriciated!
Thank you
Tina

OP
Aptmunich
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Check your other post.

Reaction score
ibook glitch - missing desktop.fixed by adobe bridge!!

i was up all night last night fixing my ibook.
i made a silly mistake of when using IMOVIE, saved a movie from 'movie-tif'
so i had 3mins worth of tif frame by frame appear on the desktop.

there were over 3 thousand!

my mac froze and to cut a long story-
i had to reboot 6 times via the C button, NO JOY!!!
tried system reboot, STILL no joy.

all my icons disappeared and i couldnt access the menus from Finder.

AAAAHHH ! i was at my wits end.

what was also distressing, was my cpu fan kept cutting in every 10 mins as the overload of tif was nuking the HD.

i didnt know how to access my HD as i only had the apps bar working.
i tried EVERYTHING from going in via photoshop - to automator etc.....NOTHING

then i remembered as im on CS2, i have Adobe Bridge.
i remembered that Bridge shows files in all apps. INCL my desktop.

so anyway- I saw the list of files via Adobe Bridge.
over 3k!!!

i was able to meticulously delete each one (else it crashed)
and the cpu was really whirring by now!

i wasnt able to access the Trash to empty it, and the fan was still whirring and my desktop was still bust.
so- before i was considering spending a minimum of £80 to get someone to look at it, I backed up all my work on my 60gig external HD, and powered down by forcing it.
(hold down C) for few secs

waited a few secs and rebooted.
i almost CRIED with joy when i saw the icons appearing on the desktop.
AND, i was able to access Trash and clear it out.
i then shut down and restarted.
all is good!

phew. the all-night operation but fixed!
took me abt 2 hours!!!! i didnt know what to do at first,
i dont want to do that again.,

my tip is, if ever you have a similar thing and the desktop doesnt function and the icons dissapear and the cpu is forever whirring due to overload-
try accessing your HD via adobe bridge.

with me, my mouse worked and it was fireing up quickly, its just that the overload of tif files made the desktop crash out.

it worked for me and i am amazed at myself for fixing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.