Airport card no longer seeing NETGEAR router ??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro
Hi everyone - I'm hoping to tap into some serious expertise here.. :)

I've been using a 12" Powerbook for years with a NETGEAR DG834G wireless router/modem. Today I could no longer 'see' the router in the Airport menu. Numerous re-boots (both mac and router which normally resolves the problem) and little luck apart from a few glimmers of neighbour's signals and every now and then a brief sight of my Netgear..

I tried:

Factory reset of router
PMU reset on mac
WEP WPA on/off etc
Different channels on router
Firmware is latest v 2.10.22
Opened battery compartment & fiddled with the card aerial

I even

Bought (now returned) a brand new Netgear router - same issue!

It's all working well with an ethernet cable as a modem, just no 'signal' picked up.. Do Airport cards fry up? I really don't want to spend yet more on my much loved 12" (just put in a fat 160gb HD - wonderful).

Am I missing something really obvious??

Many thanks to all!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Your Airport card has flown away to "Airport Heaven", never to return again. Seriously, your card has probably died. Replace it or just continue on ethernet.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM MacBook, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Definetly your card. It's gone. Hopefully it didn't go to "Airport Card H*ll." Sorry about that. I also have no guidance as to were you can go about replacing it, probably the Apple Store I would assume but I can't give you much more than that.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.