change highlighted selection in pop up box

Reaction score
Hi all

I can't figure out how to change the highlighted selection in a pop up box. For example, if I am in Pages and wish to quit without saving, the pop up box appears with the 'Don't Save', 'Save' or 'Cancel' options with the the 'Save' option highlighted.

My question is, using the keyboard, how do I move between the options? Tab does not work, nor does using the arrow keys.

I feel really stupid not knowing how to do this! Thanks for your help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
go into system preferences, keyboard and mouse, then to the keyboard shortcuts section and select the radio button for "all controls"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
If you want to skip tabbing around, the standard shortcuts for buttons in dialogs are:
Return (for the blue highlighted default button, Save)
Command-. (period) (for Cancel)
Command-D (for Don't save)

For other buttons, it's usually Command and then the first letter of the button name.

Some helpful applications will show their shortcuts when you hold down the Command key, but those are the basics.

OP
J
Reaction score
Oh cool! Thanks Technologist.

There's the stuff I know I don't know, then there's the stuff I don't know I don't know.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.