Which Hard Dive?

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

It look like I'm about to pull the trigger on a MBP and would like to ask the folks here what HD they would reccomend.

Will the 7200 speed make a big difference for software such as Flight simulator?

Thanks
JW

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
I would look at the random access time on the HDDs. Other than that I don't think there will be much of a difference, but I would get a 7200 RPM HDD for sure.

Reaction score
At a similar postion myself, I do a huge amount of traveling and I am concidering the SSD. Am I being stupid

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
At a similar postion myself, I do a huge amount of traveling and I am concidering the SSD. Am I being stupid

No you aren't being stupid. Although I would but SSDs just yet. I would wait for Samsungs 256GB version to be mass produced, and then see where it goes from there.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
random reads and writes are still slow on SSD's.

I have installed the WD 320GB 7200 RPM in my MBP.
SuperDuper bootable backup installed on it - so this was the exact same system except for the drives.
Just an example - boot time dropped from 45 sec to 21 seconds.
The drive is virtually silent.

I did wait until my warranty was up though.

Reaction score
HDD upgrade does not void warranty?!

Apple Warranty: Installing Memory, Expansion Cards, User Installable Parts Does Not Void Warranty

* Last Modified on: May 11, 2004

* Article: 13946

You may install memory (RAM, VRAM), and other customer-installable parts without voiding your Apple warranty.

Apple's warranty states:

"This warranty does not apply...if the product has been modified without the written permission of Apple..."

Adding memory (DRAM, VRAM) or other user-installable upgrade or expansion products to an Apple computer is not considered a modification to that Apple product. Therefore, it is not necessary to obtain Apple's written permission to upgrade or expand an Apple computer. While Apple strongly recommends that you retain the services of an Apple Authorized Service Provider to perform any product upgrades or expansions, you will not void your Apple warranty if you choose to upgrade or expand your computer yourself. However, if in the course of adding an upgrade or expansion product to your computer, you damage your Apple computer (either through the installation of, or incompatibility of the upgrade or expansion product), Apple's warranty will not cover the cost of repair, or future related repairs.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Installing a new drive in the latest MBP's does not void the warranty.

It was not a user installable part through several generations of the MBP, including mine, and would have voided my warranty.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.