Aluminum MacBook or Older MacBook Pro

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody Macbook, White MacBook, PowerMac G4, iPhone, iPod Photo
Hi all,

I'm looking to get a Mac laptop. However, I'm kinda in a dilemma.

From looking on-line I can get the new aluminum Macbook and older MacBook Pro for around the same price.

I really, really, like the design of the new MacBooks. But do the older MacBook Pro's have specs that out weight the design greatly.

So, what road should I go down?

Thanks a lot! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Unibody
A new Aluminum MacBook Pro! ;)

If you really need the specs, then the answer should be obvious. The new designs are really nice (IMO), but if the specs are more important to you, then don't sacrifice those just to have the newest, latest and greatest design.

Reaction score
I was in the same situation a month ago. I went to the apple store and that made my decision much easier. The new design of the Macbooks blow away the last generation. The screen, unibody construction, weight, upgraded graphics and backlit keyboard make the 2.4GHz Macbook an excellent choice.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
I really, really, like the design of the new MacBooks. But do the older MacBook Pro's have specs that out weight the design greatly.

What do you care about more? Design or specs? Ask yourself that question and there you go.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
I think the 2 are fairly close in terms of raw speed, with the MBP having the edge in graphics performance so the question for me would boil down to portability.

Will you be traveling a lot with it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Blueberry Mac. Aluminum 2.0 Macbook. Ipod Nano 4gb. Ipod Touch 8gb.
go the new macbook. its a unbelievable machine. it has alot of pro specs.

Reaction score
Hello I'm new here.

I have a similar question too. I haven't used a mac for about 3 years now and can't wait to get one again. For someone who's going to be using final cut pro, is the macbook still a good choice? I went to the apple store today, but the guy just wanted to sell me the pricier one.

Also, I just so a banner for Wegener Media's refurbished macs. Is that a trustworthy source?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Unibody
Hello I'm new here.

I have a similar question too. I haven't used a mac for about 3 years now and can't wait to get one again. For someone who's going to be using final cut pro, is the macbook still a good choice? I went to the apple store today, but the guy just wanted to sell me the pricier one.

Also, I just so a banner for Wegener Media's refurbished macs. Is that a trustworthy source?

Thanks

Honestly for video editing with Final Cut Pro I would go with a MacBook Pro, the reason being is that it has Firewire, which is generally important to video editing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MBP
The Black Friday specials make the new MBP very attractive. If you cannot do it then, I would buy a refurbished MBP. If you don't need firewire the MB is a nice machine.

Reaction score
The Black Friday specials make the new MBP very attractive. If you cannot do it then, I would buy a refurbished MBP. If you don't need firewire the MB is a nice machine.

Honestly for video editing with Final Cut Pro I would go with a MacBook Pro, the reason being is that it has Firewire, which is generally important to video editing.

Thanks. I will definately go with the MBP. Any ideas where I an get good deals tomorrow? I live in Los Angeles.

Reaction score
amazon has pretty good deals on the old MBP i bought mine about a month ago for the same price as the new macbook, (1600 $) you should check that out!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.