characters window

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I've been using my macbook for about a year now and just in the past few days, every time I start it up this annoying characters window shows up. It always stays in the foreground too. I suppose its allowing me to input all kinds of unusual characters but I just want it to go away. I'll appreciate any help with this. thanks!

Picture 1.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Firstly, you can 'send it away' by clicking the top-left button (even though it doesn't show red).

Then, check System Prefs > Accounts > Login Items and see if Character Palette is listed and enabled there. You can remove unwanted items by click-select and then click the - sign.

BTW - that CP will prove to be very useful if/when you want unusual/special characters in your text composition.

OP
U
Reaction score
thanks for the response. Its not listed under login items. but interestingly enough, when i click on the lock 'to make changes', the window pops up again.

I realize I can close it by pressing the red button. But its really annoying having to do that every single time I login. Are there any other ideas on what I could try?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
when i click on the lock 'to make changes', the window pops up again.

Okay, so when/should you unlock the preferences "to make changes" THEN click-close the CP, before click-locking the preferences once more.

OP
U
Reaction score
maybe i'm not explaining myself here. click-closing the window does nothing. it just goes away for the time being. and then pops up again the next time I login. I want it to go away permanently. Since its not listed in the login items, that doesnt work either.

thanks for all your help though. but I'm in need of other ideas.

Reaction score
Hello UTE,

I understand uexactly what you are saying because I've got the same problem on my late 2008 macbook pro. Did you ever find a solution?

There is definitely something weird going on with the characters window. I did intentionally bring up the characters window to select a special character a few days ago. Now this window just appears and I sure can't figure out why. No other applications are running. If you do find a solution please post here. I'll do the same.

(for the record, this isn't caused by not having permissions repaired, not having the latest software installed, having something in the startup items, etc. The routine troubleshooting has been done.)

I just found this posting over on the Apple discussions: Apple - Support - Discussions - Help... Strange Problem!! ...

Maybe killing the plist for Char Palatte Server will do the trick for you, Ute. I'm giving it a try.

Paul

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.