unable to open links to downloads

Reaction score
Hi all,having a problem with my imac .For some reason I am unable to open links to downloads. When I click on the link nothing happens or sometimes the the link begins to open but then stops and the screen just shows the present page with the link to the download.:(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13"/2.0Ghz/4GB/80GB/White Macbook
given that this isn't a broken/dead link in the site thats causing you this problem (which I have a feeling it is); when you click a download link in safari, there's no conformation, it just begins downloading and saves into your Downloads folder, have you checked there? (You can view active/past download activities via Window > Downloads in safari)

OP
R
Reaction score
Hi, I've tried to open download links on various sites all with the same result. Checked my downloads folder and it was empty and checked my downloads history via Window,again nothing. A puzzle,thanks for the suggestions.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Am assuming you're using Safari and Leopard here.

Have you inadvertently changed the location of your downloads?

Safari - Preferences... - General tab - Save downloaded files to:

If you have 'Remove download list items:' set to 'Upon Successful Download', then nothing will appear in the 'Downloads' window.

You can also checkmark 'Open "safe" files after downloading'

And an example of the links you're talking about would help also.

A few sites out there will require you to turn off the Pop-up blocker.

OP
R
Reaction score
I've tried your suggestions bobtomay but all checks out ok. The problem is my imac does not allow me to open the initial link the item to be downloaded.:(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
I am unable to open links to downloads. When I click on the link nothing happens or sometimes the the link begins to open but then stops and the screen just shows the present page with the link to the download.:(

One simple bypass solution is to try a different browser.

Secondly, check all the preferences of the browser you're currently using. Maybe there's a setting in Security that's blocking access to links.

If you're like me, and are very selective about cookies, then maybe you need to allow them. Some links simply will not work if a cookie for them is not enabled. Again, the Prefs > Privacy setting is the place to look.

Last - use Onyx Titanium Software to give your MacOS a good clean, repair permissions, and clear caches.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.