iMac vs Mac Mini

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" Macbook Aluminum, 2.0 GHz 2 GB DDR3 (Late 2008)
Hi guys. I'm a recent Mac convert, and I love my new aluminum Macbook and Leopard. My parents are pretty computer illiterate, and they recently destroyed their computer with adware and viruses. I suggested to them that they get a Mac, since I've heard that Macs get less viruses, etc (is this true?). They agreed, and now I'm looking into what computer to get for them. It basically comes down to the iMac or the Mac mini. My parents don't do anything crazy with their comp, just surf the web, check email, chat with me on AIM, etc. Do you all think the Mac mini is a better fit, or should I have them take the big leap forward and throw down cash for an iMac? Any comments are greatly appreciated!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch MacBook Pro
Do they have a nice monitor, keyboard, and mouse? If they already have a nice LCD I would say go Mini. If they do not I would certainly recommend a iMac. Either one will be great for them!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" 2.66Ghz, 4Gb RAM, 320Gb HDD, OSX 10.5.6
A mini is more than enough for your parents needs, assuming they already have a decent monitor, keyboard and rat ( as previous poster mentioned), however if they need a webcam be careful with what you get as I had a mini and went through a few webcams before finding one suitable.

I must admit though, since getting the new 20' iMac I've had no regrets, so if they can afford an iMac - go for it.

S

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
Get the iMac and sell the old computer as an entire system. You'll get a better spec and more memory, and even though your parents will probably never really stretch the machine technically, I hate the idea of anyone buying 2 year old technology at 2007 prices. The Mac Mini is probably the poorest value Mac on the market.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" Macbook Aluminum, 2.0 GHz 2 GB DDR3 (Late 2008)
Thanks for the opinion guys. Is the current iMac pretty recent, or is it due for a revision soon (as Apple tends to do often?)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac core2Duo 2.4Ghz 4GB ram
There was talk of the iMac getting a speed bump soon, but it doesn't look like it for a little while now. The last revision was in June, so not too long ago.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch MacBook Pro
Thanks for the opinion guys. Is the current iMac pretty recent, or is it due for a revision soon (as Apple tends to do often?)

Honestly, you mentioned they would be surfing, emailing, and chatting. That makes a possible revision totally irrelevant. Buy them an iMac. They will fall in love all over again!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
I suggested to them that they get a Mac, since I've heard that Macs get less viruses, etc (is this true?)

No viruses, no spyware, no malware. Your parents can stumble around the net 99.9% safe.

Just don't click on any dodgy bank links in your email.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.