GeForce 8600M GT Crashes in WIndows installed via Bootcamp

Reaction score
Hi to everyone! I believe this is the correct place for my post; if it's not, I apologize beforehand.

It seems I'll need some help with a little problem I have...

I use Bootcamp to be able to play games in Windows. I did this for a while and I hadn't had any problem at all before... but a few days ago, I reinstalled XP, and now every game I play just crashes and Windows takes me back to the desktop.

(I'm currently using a MBP with a GeForce 8600M GT).

I don't see how reinstalling XP can help overcoming this issue... because I've already thought about that.

Is it possible that the video card is not running? Becaus I can't hear it running as I used to... ever heard of this?

Thanks in advanced!

My kindest regards,

Martín

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If the video card isn't "running" you'd have no image at all on the screen. ;)
So let's rule that out.

More than likely what has happened is when you re-installed XP, you may not have installed or properly installed the nVidia drivers. Re-install the nVidia drivers; if necessary go to the nVidia web site and download the latest drivers for the card.

Regards.

OP
M
Reaction score
Hehe! Good point... isn't there any on-board video device that can save me from the embarrassment of this situation? Just kidding :p

That's the first thing I did, mate. I've tried repairing the drivers and uninstalling them completely so as to a perform cleaner installation. Same result though...

Any other idea would be much appreciated =)

Reaction score
One thought... do you still have Direct X installed or did you loose it when you reinstalled Winders?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
You're installing the drivers off the OS X cd right?

OP
M
Reaction score
Oh yes, I've downloaded and installed DirectX 10 and I'm using Apple's drivers which come with Leopard.

Just in case, I've also tried installing newer drivers from laptopvideo2go but the result was the same...

Reaction score
This is a silly suggestion, but did you create a big enough partition for windows the second time around? The first time I installed it, I wasn't paying attention and only made a 5gb partition for XP.

If everything else seems to be tip-top, I would also point to a driver issue, but I can't be any more help than that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
have you tried the latest bootcamp drivers on the Apple site?

OP
M
Reaction score
Yep, both options already covered (unfortunately).

I've completely updated Bootcamp just a few days ago and the Windows partition is surely more than enough for the use I'm planning to give it.

Now I think about it, this problem may have started when I updated Bootcamp...

Thanks for replying, guys!

OP
M
Reaction score
I know I'm bringing this "old" thread back, but I don't like posts to be left without an answer.

I'm not sure what it was in the end, but if it ever happens to anyone, be sure you can fix it reinstalling the Windows partition in the end. I did so, and I've been playing demanding games and there was no problem at all.

Regards!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
:D Windows never changes does it? First sign of trouble, erase and re-install! Aren't you glad that you own a Mac and use the greatest OS there is, known as OS X?

Regards and have fun playing those games.

OP
M
Reaction score
I couldn't agree more! Formatting is the only thing that "saves" Windows...

How to reinstall it? Back up everything you don't wanna lose, boot into Leopard, open the bootcamp app, and erase your Windows partition. Then create a new partition for Windows and proceed as usual.

Hope it helps!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.