Disk Permission Problem

Reaction score
The last 3 times I have ran verify disk permissions and it comes up with the same error...

Group differs on “private/etc/cups”, should be 0, group is 26.
Permissions differ on “private/var/spool/cups.rss”, should be drwxr-xrx... (this is all that I can see before it is cut off)

When I repair disk permissions this appears to either
A.) not get fixed
or
B.) something causes the same error to reappear...

Why do ya'll think I continually get this same error and how can I fix it? I think it might be coinciding with my degrading performance of my MB.

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Are you running it off of the cd?

BTW, permissions on a print spool shouldn't be causing degraded performance. Actually, permissions themselves rarely would for most things. When was the last time you ran

sudo periodic daily weekly monthly

?

OP
Z
Reaction score
Not sure whatyou mean by running it off of the cd...
but when I pull up disk utility I select the HD...

I have ran that multiple times since I started getting degraded performance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
boot from your recovery CD and run it from that.

OP
Z
Reaction score
Can you explain to me more about the running from the recovery disk? And the point of doing that?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Have you upgraded to X.5.5? If so suggest run Repair Permissions from Disk Utility as there were a number of changes back in X.5.1 or X.5.2. Is the machine experiencing any problems? if not just ignore it.

You can always boot from the Leopard DVD, go to Utilities and run Repair Disk from there to see if that helps.

There have consistently been SUID, group differs messages etc with OS X of no consequence. Just do a Google search and you will see myriads of responses including some from Apple advising ignore.

Cannot tell you why the OS does this - maybe the difference between machine models, PowerBooks, G4 Towers, Mac Pros, MacBooks etc etc.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.