Backing up Leopard and Windows XP

Reaction score
I've got a Macbook with both Leopard and windows XP on it. The XP partition is formatted in NTFS. So what is the best way to backup both partitions?
My plan is to back them up on separate external hard-drives, with separate backup-programs. Is this the way to go? Read some posts where this was suggested. Or can it be done with one program, and one hard-drive?

Also, and most importantly; if I use some standard windows-type program to backup XP, how can I restore it from my Leopard partition, if my XP-partition won't start?

Hope someone can help me :)...Would be nice to know if this would work, before I tried it out.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You can try NetRestore, but note that it is no longer supported or developed and the author reports that he has retired it.

As far as backing up your OS X partition, there is Carbon Copy Cloner (from the same author as NetRestore) or SuperDuper. Both will create a bootable clone of your OS X partition which can be restored. Requires an external hard drive formatted to HFS +.

Backup for Windows can be a bit complicated because if you somehow run into hard drive difficulties it could mean losing both OS X and Windows. OS X would first have to be re-installed on the new drive, a new Boot Camp partition created and then Windows restored.

Probably WinClone is the easiest to use as it works with both FAT-32 and NTFS. Look here:

Download Winclone for Mac - Clone your Boot Camp partition. MacUpdate Mac Backup Software Downloads

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.