How do I make a wireless network?!

M

mWilton

Hi there, I would like to put three Macs on a wireless network and need some help with the working out the most ecconomical solution.
I have a 14'' G3 ibook @ 700MHz - a G4 12'' ibook @ 1.07GHz which is airport express 'ready' but in system profiler it says 'no info. found' under airport, and a iMac G3 @700MHz.
Could someone please tell me what I need to get all of these on a wireless network together and routed into my broadband connection?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
It may be "Airport Ready" but that doesn't mean you have an Airport card installed. You'd need to buy an Airport card for each of the Mac's you want to add to the wireless network and then also buy an Airport Extreme Base station or an Airport Express.

Once you have those things, there's an easy wizard that walks you through setting up the network.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
schweb said:
It may be "Airport Ready" but that doesn't mean you have an Airport card installed. You'd need to buy an Airport card for each of the Mac's you want to add to the wireless network and then also buy an Airport Extreme Base station or an Airport Express.

Once you have those things, there's an easy wizard that walks you through setting up the network.

Also, to clarify, the G4 will need an AirPort Extreme card, while the other two use regular AirPort cards. In addition, you can use basically any wireless router that supports the 802.11b wireless standard. I use a Linksys router with my iBook, and it works great.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
you also dont need an AP base station, a 3rd party wireless router will work just as well, and its cheaper that way. once you have that, its easy, just post back and one of us will explan the steps. also, I recommend the imac be the 'main 'computer that plugs directly into the router since its a desktop and wont move.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
While the 3rd party base stations may be cheaper, they're no where near as easy to setup or configure which is why I didn't recommend it for someone just starting out and unsure of how wireless networking works ;)

OP
T

The mac 13

gt a router and an ethernet modem. also make sure that yr internet sped is fast enough..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
Echo_ said:
airport extreme is 802.11b??? they dont make a g version yet?

No, Extreme is g, but the standard AirPort that he'd be using for the g3 machines is b, so he'd need a router that was b-compatible.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.