Need help on partitioning an external HDD

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2008 MacBook Pro 15.4" 2.4GHz 4GB, 19in Viewsonic LCD, Mac Alum keyboard, Razer Diamondback 3G
Ok so right now I'm go between my OSX side and XP side a lot (for school and gameing...) so I formatted my external HDD to a FAT32 file type. So I was wondering if I could add a Mac file type partition on there w/ the disk utility and not lose any data? Cause I need to store a .dmg of CS4 MC (7.2GB) and FAT32 only takes files 4GB or smaller.

thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
No. Disk Utility will destroy the data upon re-partitioning the external drive. You will need third party software which can create the new partition for HFS+ and at the same time move the FAT-32 data without destroying it. Take a look at iPartition:

Coriolis Systems :: Products :: iPartition

It's also possible to use a free utility like GParted to create the partition and then use Disk Utility to format it. Partition Magic will also work, but again you will need to use Disk Utility after the new partition is created in order to format it to HFS+.

Regards.

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2008 MacBook Pro 15.4" 2.4GHz 4GB, 19in Viewsonic LCD, Mac Alum keyboard, Razer Diamondback 3G
OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
for some reason my boot camp isn't recognizing my external firewire drive. any thoughts?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.