downloads keep stopping

Reaction score
hey im new to the whole forum thing but wondering if anyone can help me out.

im using wireless network and everytime i download something it keeps stopping the download, and the only way i can finish the download is pausing and resuming pausing and resuming like 100's of times as it stops and stops.

i am pretty sure this isnt normal and i cant find any info about it anywhere. btw some things download fine. others dont. i have no problems viewing webpages, buffering youtube videos ect so havent got a clue......

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
it could be the source. are you finding trouble with the same download sources mainly?

i'm assuming you're using wireless? have you tried the same downloads while wired to the router? you could narrow the issue if the problem resolves itself (your wireless) or if it doesn't (your ISP, modem, cabling, or the dl source).

you could also do a reset on the modem and router - power both down, then power the modem back on, wait til connected, and then power the router back on. and if it is on your wireless, you could try a different channel on the wireless router to try to avoid any possible interference.

OP
E
Reaction score
no there isnt a specific source problem, i think generally i get the problem quite alot. I've been trying all morning to download the 2.2 software update for iphone 3G from itunes and it just keeps stopping at 30 mb or 70 mb regions, its so annoying. then it gives me an error code and apple say to solve the problem adjust firewall settings. there was nothing wrong with my firewall settings either. everything was turned. btw im an absolute mac noob, only bought one last week, white one like urs, but this is just so annoying. dont mean to be annoying but dont know anything about the router as per say, ive tried rebooting and no difference was made, and im going to tried wired now and see what happens. ill keep you posted and thanks for helping

OP
E
Reaction score
i just tried plugging the network cable straight into the mac and the internet wouldnt work, why is that? when i plug the cable into the router i get internet, but i presumed just like windows, if u plug an alternate internet method it just converts to that. but it obviously hasnt, the macbook wont detect a connection. i clicked on network in system preferences and it said the ethernet port thing was connected, i have a self assigned i.p address, then i tried to go on the net and it wont work. so back on wireless now. any tips? lol forgive nooobiness.

OP
E
Reaction score
right i was being an idot and im plugged in now. i just turned the modem on and off and its plugged in fine now. and the download hasnt stopped at all so its working perfectly. so its definately not the internet connection now. so is the router rubbish then? its a belkin wireless g+. im at my girlfriends house and thats her router. but i got a standard o2 broadband router at home and ive had the same problems downloading aswell it just stops randomly and i have to keep resuming. is there any settings i need to tweek on the mac to stop this? or are both the routers just failing? at home i aslo rebooted the router and the same thing kept happening? thanks

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
on the wireless settings on the router itself, you can try to change the channel for the wireless, i believe the option is a choice between 12 different channels normally. could just be interference from some other source. also, you may want to try moving the actual router around a bit, especially if is near some other electrical device.

OP
E
Reaction score
ok well theres loads of cables around the router, its right next to a tv and dvd aswell so ill move that. but i just checked the router and theres no settings avaliable on it? and i havent got the cd's or anything so i wouldnt know how to change any settings for it if i needed to? sorry if this is tedious just literally dont know who else to ask

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
check the manufacturer's website, they should have info on how to remote into the router via any web browser. i'm assuming since you don't know how to remote into the router, you have no security set up on it, so anyone could be using it. that could also be why your downloads are slowing or stopping - simply out of being used too heavily.
once you can get into the router, secure it. put a password on it, and set up WEP or WPA security on it. refer to any online documentation the manufacturer may have, it's really not that hard to do.

OP
E
Reaction score
yeh i set up a wep key for her about a year and a half ago but shes lost the disks ect so dont ill look into it via the manufacturers side. if not ill just get a new router. probably better anyways. thanks for your help tho.

i know its completely of the subject but since i got the new mac ive been researching like a nutter about everything to do with it. a big issue ive found is people complaining how, like me, got a standard 120 GB HD but you literally only have like 95 GB made avaliable to you. What do you reckon i should do? i know its OTT in the sense i havent even used any of my space up yet, but based purely on principle, why is it taking up 25 GB for the OS. thats RIDICULOUS. another forum somebody suggested 'erase and install' off the disk so u can select if u dont want language files and print drivers ect but is that true? just let me know what you think..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.