Parallels Desktop (Windows Xp) sound problem

Reaction score
Hey guys, Im having a slight problem with Windows XP (not pirated) using PD3. Sometimes when I switch to windows, I do not get any sound from my Macbook Pro. Only after restarting Windows in PD does the sound work on XP. I would like to know if there is any solution to this problem.

P.S... Im not new to macs but im new to Parallels Desktop.

Thanks.
Clay.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Hey guys, Im having a slight problem with Windows XP (not pirated) using PD3. Sometimes when I switch to windows, I do not get any sound from my Macbook Pro. Only after restarting Windows in PD does the sound work on XP. I would like to know if there is any solution to this problem.

P.S... Im not new to macs but im new to Parallels Desktop.

Thanks.
Clay.

Just a suggestion: Upgrade to Parallels 4.0 and make sure all the guest tools are working properly. You shouldn't have to re-install XP.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP, iPad 2 64, 2 x iPod Touch, MBA, 2 x iPhone 3g
Ooh, ooh, ooh - be VERY careful before you upgrade to Parallels 4.

In fact, I would check on the Parallels Forums first and just LOOK at the problems hundreds of 'savvy' users are having with it first.

I've just spent the best part of two days trying to get PD4 to load and configure correctly. I am now BACK on PD3 - it's that good.

Parallels Forums is the link - have a look (before you leap).

As for the sound problem, see if you're up to date with PD3, and check if Windows sounds are muted (initially anyway).

OP
C
Reaction score
Hey guys...thanx for the suggestions. Wil keep all of them in mind. One thing i have noticed is that after i quit iTunes in OS X n then open Windows, i do not get any sound. Otherwise windows xp works fine with the sound if i havent run iTunes. Not sure what the issue is here.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.