Automator or Applescript?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac (Penryn) 2.8ghz 4GbRam 500GbHDD
I'm still pretty new to the Mac and I'm sure at some point I'll need to learn Automator & Applescript but I'm wondering which I should learn first to achieve a few things I'd like fairly quickly?

On an episode of Macbreak Tech podcast called Working with Back to my Mac someone came up with the idea of sending an email to you system that would change it's IP address via a script.

This would mean I could set up ports for use with BTTM and have them forward to a currently empty IP address. When I want to access BTTM I'd send the email which would run the script changing my iMac's IP to the formerly empty IP address.

I'd like to take this idea a little further. I'd like to be able to send an email to the remote Mac that would only act if it was from a specific email address and contains a specific piece of content, say a key string. Then have that script change the IP address and notify me of the new internal IP address of the machine. I'd also like the reply email the current outside world IP address of the iMac so I don't need to sign up for No-IP or a similar service.

I'm not asking anyone to write this for me, I'm just wondering whether something this complex would be possible is automator? or would I need to start with Applescript?

I'm intending to buy the new/revised edition of Applescript 1-2-3 by By Sal Soghoian & Bill Cheeseman when it comes out, but I'm looking to get this set up fairly quickly. It will mitigate some of the holes my limited router (required by ISP) introduces when leaving ports open.

Thanks,

Mark.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Forget Automator for something this complex, AppleScript is the way to go.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.