Max RAM and HD?

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I'm a long time Windows sysadmin and Linux user who has recently gotten a free MacBook 13.3" (MA700) which has a Intel Core 2 Duo 2.0ghz CPU, 2x512 RAM and a 80gb.

I've always kinda made fun of macfanboys (pretty much graphics artists in the various places where I've worked), but I dare say I'm enjoying learning a different platform.

Right off the bat I need to upgrade the RAM and Hard drive so I can use this laptop more frequently. Here are my questions:

RAM: I've seen reports that this MacBook can support 2gb, 3gb and even 4gb of RAM. Which is actually correct? Also, back in the day, you essentially had to use "mac RAM". Is this still the case? If I slap in 2x2gb of PC2-5300 DDR2 SODIMM RAM into it, will it just use as much as it can (as in Windows 32bit). Or do I need to buy the twice as expensive "Mac Compatible RAM"?

Hard Drive: Am I right in assuming that any 7200rpm 320gb HD will work just fine?

Thanks very much,
Nicholas

Reaction score
the newest 2.0 ghz macbooks will support and use 4 g of ram but the older ones will only utilize 3 g of the 4g
the macbooks will also use standard ram, I have 2 macbooks and 2 macbook pros upgraded with standard ram, I am not sure if speed is sacrificed but they still seem to run fasted than we need.
any 2.5 hd will do, I am looking at the 500g soon and replace my 250g.

try this link for your model

Mac Specs, Prices, Answers, & More @ EveryMac.com - Established 1996

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.