Please Help Me

Reaction score
I have a Mac Powerbook, not sure of the specifics if there are any, but I need help with it. I can't get Safari or Firefox to work. It says the server is not responding, and I've tried to clear all the private data and cookies, but still nothing. This is a school laptop and I need this to complete my work. PLEASE help me asap. Thanks in advance.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
NOTE: Moved to appropriate forum. Not a question or comment about Mac-Forums.

As to your issue - it sounds like you're not connected to the Internet at all. If you're at a college or university, I'd check with their support department to ensure that you have a working Internet connection. If you're working at home, check with your Internet Service Provider to ensure that your connection is properly configured.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
We need more detail, like what router you're using, the Network settings, where you're using the computer, and are you getting through to other websites - like Mac-Forum.

OP
Z
Reaction score
I'm using the laptop in my house, but I can't access my connection because it won't show up, so I use my neighbors. The one I use is linksys and it doesn't have a WEP code.

What about the network settings? What part of them?

I'm not actually using a router, its the Airport thing.

And I can't get through to anything. It just says the same thing.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I'm using the laptop in my house, but I can't access my connection because it won't show up, so I use my neighbors. The one I use is linksys and it doesn't have a WEP code.

And I can't get through to anything. It just says the same thing.

No one here is going to enable you to illegally leech off a neighbor's connection. It's very possible that they are using a form of encryption that keeps your machine from obtaining an IP address. Use your own Internet connection and you won't have to worry about this.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.

SysPrefs > Network > Show Built-in Ethernet > TCP/IP. Check what the IP address is, whether it's been changed somehow. I don't know what the settings are for your router or region, but you can get those from your ISP. In fact I'd endorse what cwa has already advised - contact the ISP that the school uses for help with the settings.

Umm, I wonder if this a permissions issue. By that I mean that you cannot use another computer (your school's) to connect to the Net using your own (home) phone line, you have to go through your school's connection account. Did you check this with your IT teacher at school?
[Example - I cannot take my computer to someone else' home to use their router and ADSL connection, unless I use their ISP account and password. It's something to do with portals and is controlled by the phone line companies. It may not apply in your country.]

Yeah, it's still got to go through a router, only it's wireless (Airport) from the Mac to the router, which is connected to your phone line. Unless you're using WiFi, in which case it's out of my league. Do you or someone else in your family use a (different) computer and internet in your home?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No one here is going to enable you to illegally leech off a neighbor's connection ... Use your own Internet connection and you won't have to worry about this.

No, I think what he's telling us is that he's connecting to Mac-Forums using his neighbor's computer because he cannot connect to anything with the school computer from his home. The OP's response to my latest reply may clarify that for us.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.