RESTARTS on it's own.

Reaction score
My iMac restarts on it's own and it's killing me since I am trying to download an 8 gig file. I need it to stay on without interruption.

I checked system preferences and there is nothing scheduled for starting, sleeping, screensaver - nothing.

I am running OS 10.5....., intel duo core, 2.16 Ghz, 3 gig ram, plenty space on the internal hard drive.

Does anyone have any ideas what to do? I think I have everything set the way it should be not to restart.

It restarts - not sleep mode. When I wake up on the morning I have to log back into the computer.

I need the computer to run all night!

Any help is much appreciated....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Suggestions/Thoughts:
1. Check Energy Saver in SysPrefs and adjust settings there, putting computer sleep to Never. You can leave the iMac working all night with just the screen going to sleep.
2. Are you getting power fluctuations (drops) in your area? I read somewhere that ±12-15v is sufficient to cause a Mac to shut down, or to reboot - if you have that setting enabled in Energy Saver > Options.
3. Check the RAM with Disk Utility > First Aid > Verify Disk or a third-party RAM check application. You can also see if the RAM is being recognised in System Profiler.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.