Fans in use while streaming video

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP - 2.7 Ghz, Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM.
Just simply watching this video while doing nothing else on my MacBook causes the fans to get louder and louder. I'm wondering if a.) this is normal and b.) I can use some software to adjust when the fans are supposed to come on.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Streaming video on your MacBook taxes the GPU and CPU which causes heat which in turn causes the fan speed to ramp up. Quite normal.

If you wish to monitor the heat readings and fan speed among other parameters, download and install iStatPro a free widget.

iStat pro, a Dashboard Widget by iSlayer

Regards.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP - 2.7 Ghz, Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM.
I actually have iStat installed to monitor it, but I seem to call some software that let you go in and manually adjust the fan speeds.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
Yeah, YouTube videos and pretty much any flash ad will get the fan spinning. Oddly enough, playing music or Quicktime videos don't, and I play a lot of both.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2GHz Santa Rosa Macbook Pro - 4GB Ram - 120GB HD OS X Leopard - Windows XP
you really do not want to mess with the threshold at which the fans start ramping up.....
it is perfectly normal for your computer to heat up while streaming flash video...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.