Copyrighted?

Reaction score
Hey guys. I've searched all over, and can't find the answer to this. I have a 17" Macbook Pro, 2.4 dual core. I've been importing regular, commercial, store bought cds into itunes no problem. I've these 2 cds that the computer won't recognize. They're just regular cds just like everything else. They say COMPACT DISC on them. I put the disk in, it spins, then spits it out. Why? Am I missing firmware? My computer is up to date.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Are they dirty or scratched?

OP
S
Reaction score
No. There is nothing out of the ordinary here. That's why there's no reason this shouldn't work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Can you try those new CDs in another CD system, ie. home or car stereo? Can you try them in maybe another Mac, even a Win computer? Have you tried some of your earlier commercial CDs immediately after one of the faulty ones is spat out? The purpose of all that is to eliminate the MBPro laser lens as a possible cause of the problem.

OP
S
Reaction score
Yes it works in a PC, and in a home stereo no problem. Why would the MBPro laser be a problem? MACs do everything except read certain disks? I don't get it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Assuming you're talking about an audio cd:
Record companies were using various copy protection schemes a year or two ago to prevent you from ripping discs to your computer. Most of those schemes involved messing with the audio cd standard in a way that would cause computers to not play them correctly.

Later variations included software that could play the messed up disc - some offered this for windows and os x, other windows-only.

Check the disc packaging for a copy protection logo somewhere.

OP
S
Reaction score
I don't have the opportunity to try anything. It spits the disk out after about 10 sec.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
So rip it on your PC and transfer the files to your Mac...

OP
S
Reaction score
Well i could....but I payed $2000 for a laptop for a reason, I shouldn't have to do that. :\ WHAT A JOKE. Strike 1- mac....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 17" 10.4.8, G4 "Graphite" 10.4.8
What CD is it? What Label produced it? Have you searched to see if anyone has the same issue with the same CD?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Also, do note that certain CDs would install a Windows-only rootkit (a form of malware) that would enable them to play, but would restrict what could be done with them (i.e. rip the disc). If that's the case here, they may not work because the rootkit doesn't run on OS X. You could see that as a positive or negative, depending on your point of view.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.