"Normal" priority Text received as "High" priority??

Reaction score
This is EXTREMELY strange, and I'm not sure what's up. I have a friend who uses an iPhone. I sent her a text message last night around 8PM. The message was sent as "Normal" priority, but when she received it, it had the RED Exclamation Point, and was marked as "High" priority!

Now, another weird thing is that this message didn't get to her until 2:00 AM, which, understandably, REALLY caused her to freak out when it was marked High Priority! But, I know that sometimes messages don't come through immediately (though it has almost never happened to either of us.)

So, this morning when she showed me the text, red exclamation and all, I sent her ANOTHER message, just to test, and made sure it said "Normal" for priority. It came through to HER phone as HIGH priority.

I also sent a test message to TWO other people, each using different providers and different phones, and the message DID NOT go through as "High" priority to those people. So, it's only my iPhone friend receiving urgent messages from me.... Which means it isn't a problem with my phone or service provider, since those other two people received the correct NORMAL priority from me....

So, is there a setting somewhere which allows an iPhone user to set specific friends in their contact list as ALWAYS High Priority?? Or is there a glitch in the system somewhere?

Thanks in advance!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
Sorry this is no help but I never knew you could send messages with high priority.

OP
J
Reaction score
I've heard this from other people, too.... I don't know if it's JUST a Nextel thing or not. On mine it's in the "MORE" options right in where you're composing a message. But I defintely checked and made sure it was still set to "Normal."

Mine is a Nextel, so I don't know if Priority is only on THOSE.... But still, I had two other people that received a test as "Normal" so it still can't be a problem with the Nextel service.... It seems like it's narrowed down to being a weird issue with the friend's iPhone....

Reaction score
"Normal" priorty Text received as "high"

I'm having this problem as we speak. I have verizon (lg venus) and just received two texts from two different people marked as high priory. Also, part of the message on one did not come through at all. Also experiencing a LONG delay on getting them. I spoke to both individuals who confirmed they were sent normal delivery. It's really strange. I know one came from a nextel provider and the other I am not sure. I never had any problems before two days ago. I have scoured the internet for anyone else having this problem with nothing turning up except this forum. Any ideas? I am especially mad because I was just billed an embarrassing $200 in over usage charges. I hate them.

I've heard this from other people, too.... I don't know if it's JUST a Nextel thing or not. On mine it's in the "MORE" options right in where you're composing a message. But I defintely checked and made sure it was still set to "Normal."

Mine is a Nextel, so I don't know if Priority is only on THOSE.... But still, I had two other people that received a test as "Normal" so it still can't be a problem with the Nextel service.... It seems like it's narrowed down to being a weird issue with the friend's iPhone....

Reaction score
I, too, just had this problem this morning. I have verizon, and my friend has nextel. All the texts she is sending me have a red exclamation point by them, her texts are a bit delayed, and at the beginning of each text it says *high*. She is not aware of the reason, and this was the only thing related that i even found??

Reaction score

and i don't know about it being an iphone thing....it seems to be a problem mainly with nextel.

Reaction score
its kind of odd that we both have verizon, and the other person has nextel? Seems to be the reoccuring problem.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.