Remove idisk icon from desktop

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac-Mini 2.0hz Intel Core 2 Duo processor 2GB of DDR2 SDRAM
Hello,

I used the free trial for mobile me and ended the account so I would not have to pay for the subscription. Now I can not remove the idisk icon from my desktop.

When I drag it to trash can it says eject but does not eject. If I go to System Preferences / mobile me it will not allow me to change the settings because I am not logged in. And if I log in it wants me to upgrade which requires a credit card.

I tried removing my user name from the setting, advise I saw in another post.

I tried GO / Go to folder / /volume/ and removing my user name, says not enough privileges?

Any ideas?

Thanks, dreck

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
OK. It's a stubborn one. :( Try logging on to your machine using the "root" account and remove the attributes from the volume so it can be erased from the desktop.

Log on as root: Enabling and using the "root" user in Mac OS X

Be careful here, lots of damage can be done if you muck around with things you're not supposed to. O:)

Regards.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks, that did the trick. I made sure I disabled the root, and locked it back. ;-)

Thanks, dreck

Reaction score
Removing iDisk Icon From Desktop

Hello,

I used the free trial for mobile me and ended the account so I would not have to pay for the subscription. Now I can not remove the idisk icon from my desktop.

When I drag it to trash can it says eject but does not eject. If I go to System Preferences / mobile me it will not allow me to change the settings because I am not logged in. And if I log in it wants me to upgrade which requires a credit card.

I tried removing my user name from the setting, advise I saw in another post.

I tried GO / Go to folder / /volume/ and removing my user name, says not enough privileges?

Any ideas?

Thanks, dreck

I spent about 4 hours trying to remove the iDisk Icon form the desktop before I found a solution. I am running 10.4.11 so this may not work for you as I have found that those running Leopard have different solutions for the same problem. I also tried the trial subscription and then cancelled it. What I did was go to Finder-Preferences-Sidebar and then uncheck both iDisk and Connected Server. This presented me with an image that replaced the iDisk icon and read something about it being a dmg image for the iDisk Icon. I was able to drag this to the trash and presto the iDisk icon was gone. I was using a G4 laptop running 10.4.11. I searched for a solution about 4 hours today and read many that did not work for me. It appears that it might be easier to remove this icon before you cancel with Apple. After you cancel their are certain things that are greyed out that might let you remove this icon. I am thinking about turning check both of those back on as I think once I got rid of it by trashing the iDisk DMG that appeared that it is gone forever.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
John, thanks for the reply but I already fixed the problem. I used the info found in chscag post.

Thanks, dreck

Reaction score
can you tell us how u did it? what does he mean by removing the attributes from the volume?

Reaction score
works for 10.5.7

John's solution was easy and worked for me.

I'm running 10.5.7

I went to Finder -> prefs -> sidebar then deselected "iDisk"
(note the prefs are under Finder and not the apple symbol)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.