Is the extra money worth it for a Macbook Pro over a Dell

Reaction score
Hi, I know Apple has great computers, but am wondering if the extra $1000 for a macbook Pro, over a similar configured Dell is worth the extra $$$.

Since I have most of my business apps on Windows, I would most likely use Bootcamp. But I do like the idea that I can use bothe Apple and Windows.

I am curious what others here think on this topic.

-David

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
I run XP SP2 in Bootcamp and Parallels. I used a standard Windows installation image that my employer uses for all of our enterprise workstations. Thus far it works like a charm. I really like having my work and personal configs on the same box so I only have one laaptop to carry when traveling on business. The standard laptop where I work is the Dell D630 which is very nice for a work machine. I like the MBP much better - bigger screen, faster and more HDD space than our standard Dell issue workstions. Hope that helps. Another bonus is that I can snake around on the Windows installation via finder and mess up all the spyware that my employer includes as part of the standard load.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
NOTE: Thread moved to appropriate forum.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0ghz Core Duo 1 Gig Ram 80Gig HD, iMac 2.4ghz Core 2 Duo 1gig RAM 320gig HD
it depends on what dell you are looking at and how it all adds up.. 1000 over a dell sounds like a lot if they are the exact same specs, but it just depends on which laptop you are looking at and what the exact specs are

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
As a current Linux user, as well as OS X user and former Windows user, here are my thoughts:

It really depends upon what you're looking to do with either of them. If you're running a lot of Windows apps for professional reasons (whether it be school or work) then sure, you can run some VM ware type program on top of having OS X to play with, but what are the advantages ? Well, for one, you'll be learning how to use a new OS, which is always good IMO.

Secondly, if you find you like OS X better, and wind up being able to do most of what you were already doing, I think you'll also enjoy not having to deal with malware, spyware etc etc.. I mean sure, if you're UBER careful under Windows, you might not deal with that stuff either, but that's never been the case for me, no matter how careful I was. I'd always have to run Adaware, Spybot and have AVG handy, just in case.

Perhaps I spend too much time with Linux to know if this stuff isn't possible to get with OS X, but either way, I haven't seen or touched any spyware or malware or anti virus program in over 3 years, and that's a great feeling.

Other benefits are being able to play with some cool programs such as (my personal favorite) Garage Band. I'll be honest, if it weren't for Garage Band and other things like Logic etc.. I might not have considered my MBP, because OS wise, I love Linux Ubuntu and use it (as I am now) every day.

Your needs sound a bit different though, as you're still using Windows programs a lot. And if you don't care much about any of the stuff I've mentioned, I'd say save your money, because on the opposite side of the fence I think that OS X can be very annoying (very training wheels-ish and too many proprietary components for my liking) as well as not nearly as savvy as people give it credit for. It's no faster than any other laptop (I've got the Aluminum MBP) I've used but is certainly more expensive.

I don't know. In the end, you can do better, and you can do worse.. I think it's all highly subjective stuff, and in the end, it's you who has to decide. Try one out.. If you don't like it, I think you can take it back within a certain amount of time.

OP
D
Reaction score
Thanks for the detailed response. I priced out a Dell XPS 1530 for about $1200. I still have about two weeks before I need to buy, so I will continue to linger around.

Thanks

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the detailed response. I priced out a Dell XPS 1530 for about $1200. I still have about two weeks before I need to buy, so I will continue to linger around.

Thanks

The XPS 1530 is a very nice machine (I've serviced one and can tell you that they are well made and perform quite well), but it's not equal in spec to the current MacBook Pro, which uses DDR3 memory, a faster FSB and a better GPU. To get a comparable Dell, you'd need to look at one of the higher end Dells which are a lot more comparable in price.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook 2.4GHz/4GB Ram/320GB HD
I switched from a Dell XPS 1330 to a Black MacBook in May and never looked back.

In August I bought a MacBook Air, and 2 days ago I traded my Black MacBook in for a new Unibody MacBook.

I'll never buy a "Windows PC" again. Mac FTW!

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
The XPS 1530 is a very nice machine (I've serviced one and can tell you that they are well made and perform quite well), but it's not equal in spec to the current MacBook Pro, which uses DDR3 memory, a faster FSB and a better GPU. To get a comparable Dell, you'd need to look at one of the higher end Dells which are a lot more comparable in price.

Well apparently the OP wants to get a gaming notebook which is already made of phail to begin with. If you want to game get a desktop PC and run windows.

For everything else a Mac.

Even the higher end XPS are still using DDR2 and a lower end GPU, and cost almost 3 grand sure it has a 17" screen but that shouldn't be a factor in the ridiculous pricing.

If you want better hardware than the MBP then you have to look at AlienWare's M17. Crossfire config, Quad Core CPU, DDR3 and other goodies. That's gonna lost at the very least 3 grand. Big price for something that is not as attractive as the new MBP's design.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Aluminum with 4GB / MacMini / 160GB Ipod Classic / 8GB Ipod Touch
As a new macbook owner (and I sell PC's every day in the corporate word). I have to say that I will never go back. I just purchased my mac and i did install vm ware with windows XP Pro; however, I have yet to use it! I have found that i can do everything that i needed to do in windows in the mac only faster. i will say that i did upgrade to the 4GB of DDR3 but now i might think that I did not need it as this thing rocks!!!!

Good luck with your purchase, and if you do decide you need a dell give me a call as i have one here that i no longer have a need for!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Sounds like you don't need a Mac to me.

You can do everything you want to on a Dell. The only reason you'd want to get a Mac would be if you really really wanted one and were bowled over by the look of OS X. Have a look through the Apple website - does it make your mouth water? If not, stick with the Dell.

Sounds like you need a utility white good style product, not something a bit more funky.

Reaction score
Reconsider brand if you choose a PC?

As a former IT-manager, I´ve had quite a lot of experience of Dell machines, and they are... well, of the worst build-quality regarding branded PC´s (I´ve seen so far).

This is only my humble opinion (based on several years of experience though) and if I should buy a PC laptop and the Macs are out of my price-range, I would go for a HP or Sony.

Good luck :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM MacBook, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Dross333 a Mac would suit you very well I believe. Plus, the idea of Bootcamp is very nice (obviously you've done your research). But perhaps you do not need an MBP, you could simply purchase the MB for $700 less, and it would still suit you fine, considering you could upgrade the RAM.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook 2.4GHz/4GB Ram/320GB HD
As a former IT-manager, I´ve had quite a lot of experience of Dell machines, and they are... well, of the worst build-quality regarding branded PC´s (I´ve seen so far).

This is only my humble opinion (based on several years of experience though) and if I should buy a PC laptop and the Macs are out of my price-range, I would go for a HP or Sony.

At the risk of feeling dirty......I have to disagree with your opinion (based upon my own experiences). I supported many Dell laptops and desktops for years at my previous job, all of which performed as expected. Those that didn't were promptly fixed by Dell via next business day service. I even had a problematic m1210 replaced with an m1330.

I'm currently being forced to use some HP Desktop POS at my new job, and I've never had so many issues with a computer.....even after a complete reformat. The only Sony experience I've had was a VAIO from about 5 years ago and I really wasn't impressed with it either, especially the pricetag.

If you're looking for just a basic machine to get you through the day, Dell pretty much has you covered. If you're looking to do more intensive or demanding tasks, you may find what you need in a Dell, but more than likely you'll need to look elsewhere. If you're looking for the simplicity and elegance of OSX, there's only one place to go.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Good luck :)

I have to respectfully disagree with you there. I work as a network admin at a large company that mostly buys Dell desktops. I've personally serviced hundreds of Latitude C and D series machines. Not only are they well built, but easily serviced. Enterprise support has been nothing short of extraordinary (especially compared to HP - we have a handful of HP TC4200 tablets and good luck getting parts or service any time inside of a week).

In my experience, people like to bash Dell because of some of their low-end consumer-oriented crap (and I can agree with you there). But their high end and business lines are quite sound. In particular, the XPS M1330 and M1530 are very nice machines all the way around.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.53Ghz Macbook Pro
In a nutshell...no, it's not worth it. Macbooks/Pro, for what they are are overpriced but do spec-out high on hardware. If the majority of your software library is Windows apps (that are not already included in OS X) then you are looking at even a larger cost difference....not to mention the conversion process if you are a die-hard Outlook user. Running VMWare/Parralells is OK for a few apps, but do not fool yourself in thinking to use it exclusively for mission critical or intesive Windows apps. The performance hit running virtuilization vs natively/BootCap is just too great (for the cost).

That said, if you are making the (almost) complete switch to a Mac then you really have no choice. OS X is extremely stable and the applications integrate very well with one another and the OS. Overall, the OS/hardware combination is superior to any Windows flavor. Plus you have the ability to run OS X, Windows OS or apps and Linux on one piece of hardware. That is "priceless" for many.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.