iPhone firmware 2.2 available

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
And how is this not your personal experience? Regardless of your area of travel, this is still your personal experience. For your story and experience, I could find another who has the same story and experience with good service from AT&T. It is all vicarious experience.

It is personal experience, just in a wide range of areas. Most people who complain about service have localized issues, I have the opportunity to see how good service is on a much broader scale. I suspect that most of those that you would find, who you know personally, would not have the same experiences as me over as wide of an area, although there may be some. Interestingly, I know lots of folks who agree with me about AT&T although not necessarily about Verizon. Either way, the instances of dropped calls ARE higher on AT&T (iPhone issues aside) than on Verizon.

Anecdotal evidence around the web suggests that Verizon generally gets better service marks than AT&T on a national scale, although they tend to rank lower in service plans (rollover is a big deal) as well as customer service (AT&T seems to be better in that department, although many would disagree).

OP
Eric559
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
Found out something about the podcast download via the phone.

If the podcast you listen to is not in the iTunes store then it does not download. When you tap "Get more episodes..." all it does is open the main podcasts screen in the iTunes store. :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" iMac G5- 1.8Ghz - 1GB of Ram - AND - 17" Intel Core 2 Duo iMac - 2Ghz - 1GB of Ram
Before the 2.2 update to the iPhone I was able to save an emailed picture to my phone without losing picture quality, but since the update once I save an image from an email and open it in photo the image looks distorted. Has anyone else experianced this? Is there a fix to this or a setting that needs an adjustment? Thanks in advance for your responses.

Apparently no one else is experiencing this problem?

Reaction score
A long way to go? I think not. AT&T is still the carrier here. Dropped calls are still higher on AT&T than on Verizon. My work phone is with AT&T and has a higher dropped call rate than my iPhone. Be careful where you point fingers, they need to be pointed in multiple directions. From my experience, AT&T pretty much sucks.

Considering that the iPhone has the highest drop call rate of any phone ever made in the last 10 years, I would tend to point the majority of the problem towards apple. It does not matter if its on AT&T or if it would have originally launched on Verizon, it still would have suffered the dropped call issues.

I used to travel very frequently and have never had much of a problem on the AT&T network, with the exception of places that had no AT&T (or GSM) coverage.

another thing to consider in your personal experience of dropped calls on the AT&T network could be due to the phone you are using. Most of the problems that people dont realize are due to their phone and not the network. I had a problem several years ago when I would go a certain way to a park i visited every week, my calls would drop in a certain area or I could not make a call. I got a new phone and BAM all my problems were solved.

apple does test the iPhone extensively in a "lab environment", but they do NOT let AT&T test it on a live network long enough to tell Apple what is wrong with it before they start selling them. Usually AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile and who ever will test a device for between 2 and 4 months before release of a new model.

AT&T and RIM held off for an additional 2 months to release the Blackberry Bold because of software issues and some call quality issues. Blackberry would rather have a delayed launch date than have a very buggy device.

apple is still extremely new in the mobile phone market and they DO have a lot to learn if they want to stay in the game and maintain a high device market share.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I updated to 2.2 as soon as the 2.2 jailbreak was available. I've noticed some stability changes in applications, especially Safari. I keep thinking it's going to crash but it keep chugging along. I also noticed that cell reception got better like it did with the 2.1 update. I get much better service in my apartment than I used to, which is always a plus. I tried out Street View, but I can't really see how it would be very useful.

OP
Eric559
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Considering that the iPhone has the highest drop call rate of any phone ever made in the last 10 years, I would tend to point the majority of the problem towards apple.

Sources? I have never heard that claim before.

Del

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2xQuad core 2.8GHZ
Couple of things;

I have never had a dropped call on the iphone - other than when my ear/face/chin has pressed the cancel call button

and a quick question

Is the google maps street view not available in the UK? cant find it anywhere on my iphone after the update

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I tried out Street View, but I can't really see how it would be very useful.

I would have agreed with you until yesterday. I was looking for the local UPS office, the one where the truck deliver from, and it would have taken me longer to find it without street view. It's in an odd spot, sort of hidden, but street-view was able to give me a better view than I had from the road. The first practical use of it I've had.

I have never had a dropped call on the iphone - other than when my ear/face/chin has pressed the cancel call button

Not sure how you can do that since the touchpad turns off when in close proximity to your face.

Sources? I have never heard that claim before.

Agreed.

I used to travel very frequently and have never had much of a problem on the AT&T network, with the exception of places that had no AT&T (or GSM) coverage.

another thing to consider in your personal experience of dropped calls on the AT&T network could be due to the phone you are using. Most of the problems that people dont realize are due to their phone and not the network. I had a problem several years ago when I would go a certain way to a park i visited every week, my calls would drop in a certain area or I could not make a call. I got a new phone and BAM all my problems were solved.

Can't agree with you there on the phone part. Most of the folks I work with have dropped call issues, even the ones on Blackberries. We all have issues with dropped calls on the AT&T network so it doesn't seem to be phone dependent, unless you want to tell me that all 12 of us in my group have bad phones. Interestingly, as I said before, my iPhone drops less calls than my Nokia from work does. Maybe Nokia needs to test their phones better too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5 20" 2GB/250GB; MacBook 2.0GHz - 1Gb/80GB; iPod (video)60Gb
Couple of things;

and a quick question

Is the google maps street view not available in the UK? cant find it anywhere on my iphone after the update

Unfortunately, Street View is not currently available in the UK on any platform.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.2ghz, 3GB, 250GB - 16GB White iPhone 3G - 2nd Gen 1GB Shuffle
Unfortunately, Street View is not currently available in the UK on any platform.

Dont have Canada either :(

Its not that Street view isn't supported on any devices its that Google hasn't upload street view data for anywhere other then select cities in the US where they have driven around and captured pictures.

here is more details on street view.

"In the more immediate future, Google plans to release Street View for various Canadian cities, but modified so that faces and license plates are blurred, due to concerns raised by Canada's federal privacy commissioner Jennifer Stoddart about the program breaching Canadian privacy laws.[14]"

Although its good that goolge is blocking lisence plates and faces I can see it take alot longer before we see full support in Canada

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminum iMac 2.8GHz
Although its good that goolge is blocking lisence plates and faces I can see it take alot longer before we see full support in Canada
To be honest, I don't think the support is that great in the states yet. I have a hard time finding any of my contacts or landmarks in maps to have a street view available. Then again, I'm in Minnesota (a.k.a. almost Canada). ;D

Reaction score
So you are claiming inside info from a Telecommunications research firm? Sorry, I'm throwing up the BS flag here. If you can't back it up with solid public info it's simply conjecture on your part. Give us more solid info to back up your claim or move on.

For those interested, Telephia was purchased by Nielsen last year:

Nielsen - Press Release:Nielsen to Acquire Telephia, Inc., The Leading Source of Consumer Research for The Telecom and Mobile Media Markets

No I cant publish it, all claims are off the record due to terms and conditions set by apple, at&t and Telephia (Nielsen, the people i deal with are still considered Telephia employees).

Raise the BS flag all you want, that does not change the fact that the the iPhone has the highest dropped call rate of any phone made in the last 10 years.

so lets end it at I will believe what I believe and you believe what you want to believe.

OP
Eric559
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Raise the BS flag all you want, that does not change the fact that the the iPhone has the highest dropped call rate of any phone made in the last 10 years.

I have raised the BS flag.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.