Test Your Mac's Video Capabilities

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Okay, I know, this is a sort-of technical computer video issue, but I'd like to catch as many viewers as possible to get a realistic response.

How well can your Mac handle HD video from YouTube?
Want to see how YouTube can really look like, and how well your computer handles it? Check this out. It's a test of both your connection speed and video processor, but its great! Try to watch it to the end.

<http://blog.wired.com/business/2008/11/youtube-tests-o.html>YouTube Tests Out High Quality, Stereo Surround Videos | Epicenter from Wired.com
Its called 'Dancing'.
Go to the first evident video clip, see how you get on, and then the second one, which is standard lo-res YouTube.

I can tell you that the HD version stuffed my eMac's video capability, I'd love to know how a top-end Mac Pro gets on.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
That video presentation would not be considered HD by most people. It is displayed as only 630wx354h pixels. Although...

I found that link the other day, grabbed the url, plugged it into Safari, and did the YouTube video download trick. The file I received was 1280x720 and an mp4. That is what you should test on your eMac.

Although the presentation on YouTube is only 480x270, it blows up well since the file is 1280x720 HD.

I don't consider that a good test of your connection speed since I've found even with good connection speed, these type of files, especially popular ones, tend have trouble keeping up to the play head. Remember that the server serving the file (and all the network in between) can have an affect on the download to your computer. That video has been played over 12 MILLION TIMES!

By the way, I really enjoyed the video. The history behind it is interesting too as the genesis was just a fluke.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.