Powerbook hinge cracking/popping fix (Thanks to Radtech!)

G

gawa

I got a 12" Powerbook in September 2004, and by December, the hinge on the Powerbook was cracking, popping and creaking. Decided to check these forums to see if anyone had this problem, read a few threads on this issue, and went on to order the AlGlide from Radtech after reading that it worked for a couple people. Just received the product today (Ordered a week and a half ago) and finished the procedure of applying the metal conditioner etc. and the hinge is smooth and working like new again! Thanks to Radtech for making an easy to use product, although the instructions could've used a bit more detail or more pictures to illustrate. :)

OP
S

SamR

I still think it's unacceptable for such a common problem on such an expensive computer to have to spend $20 more and do it yourself...

OP
T

tariq

Why didnt you take it to an authorized Apple dealer? There's several in Toronto and you could've had it fixed under warranty with a 1-3 day turnaround time.

OP
G

gawa

tariq said:
Why didnt you take it to an authorized Apple dealer? There's several in Toronto and you could've had it fixed under warranty with a 1-3 day turnaround time.

I was thinking about that, but my sister uses the Powerbook a lot, and I need it for school... especially now since I've got a bunch of assignments due in the next couple weeks. :(
Plus I thought I read some stuff about people getting their Powerbooks scratched when they took it in to fix under warranty. Probably an isolated case, but I don't want to take that risk with my baby... lol..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8 Core, MacBook Air 11
Contrary to your complaints.....

Contrary to your complaints, some degree of tweaking adjustment is always inevitable in high end products. The fact that there are quality self-service products available and the powerbook is built for easy maintenance could be intelligently percieved as a positive thing. PC notebooks on the other hand are not easy to maintain, break down more often and tend to have shorter lifespans.

Edit: Hmmm... Then again maybe all you Mac haters should sell your powerbooks on the cheap to people like me and go buy a Gateway or Dell notebook.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" G5 iMac; 14.1" G4 iBook; 60Gig iPod Video
robbym said:
Edit: Hmmm... Then again maybe all you Mac haters should sell your powerbooks on the cheap to people like me and go buy a Gateway or Dell notebook.

I like that Idea. I'll take what ever robbym doesn't want. :)

-Chris

OP
S

SamR

None of my friends have had any problems with their (windows) laptops and none of them spent as much on them as a powerbook, plus their customer support is light years ahead of Apple. Which you can only imagine their perception of Apple now, as if it wasn't bad enough already. In no way has my powerbook been worth what I spent on it.

OP
J

jessica

I second that.
Oh and anything mass produced will have some error in their product. Such is life.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
That's kind of funny since Apple just scored number one in customer support in Consumer Reports :) They got a 92, while IBM got an 86 and Dell got an 84.

Apple and Dell got Best Selection
Apple, IBM, Dell, HP, Gateway, and Compaq all tied for average Prices
Apple and IBM got Best Knowledge
Apple and IBM got Most Helpfulness

Looks like Apple's support is pretty good, I've heard the same from many other rating websites.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.