MAC G4 slow boot up

Reaction score
Hello,
My girlfriend has a MAC (PowerBook G4). It takes a about 4 minute to boot up.
It sits on the logo of the Apple for about 2 1/2 minutes. I do not have that much knowledge with MACs but I am efficient with Window Machines.

Specs:
MAC OS X (Version 10.4.11)
Processor 1.5 Memory 512
There is 32 GB free.

I have attempted the following solutions:

1.) removed all programs from the Login tab
2.) downloaded OnyX and did a cleanup (cleaned out the caches (except for system and kernal), did the permission thing)
3.) Removed the Fonts to see if that was the cause.
4.) I have installed a virus scanner. In further research, I read that there is no spyware for MAC and only a few viruses.

Other than a fresh install, any suggestions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2xiMac24 w Parallels 6 (1x White, 1x Aluminum), iPhone 3GS with iOS5
Easy solution. More Ram - max it out as the lack of Ram is the choke point I believe. How large is the HD? It is also possible the HD is on the way out and the lack of drive speed slows things to a crawl. Last how about running Apple Hardware test to see what show up.

OP
R
Reaction score
The hard drive is 74.41 GB. I thought RAM could be a solution but removing the Login in programs so that nothing is booting up when it starts up would speed it up but it had no affect on the boot up speed. It just started happening without anything being installed. Is Apple Hardware test a program built within the OS or is it a within a downloadable program? Also the hard drive doesn't sound like it is going out but I know that sound is now always an indicator. Does the MAC OS have anything like Windows has like Defrag?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2xiMac24 w Parallels 6 (1x White, 1x Aluminum), iPhone 3GS with iOS5
Hardware Test is on one of the DVD that come with the machine. Buy the RAM and see how things go. The G4 is no speedster but the OS is getting heavy for the front side bus on the laptop IMO. Forget about Defrag - the OS does this for you. We had a PC laptop whose drive was quiet but spun slower until it froze the computer. Waiting it worked fine then slowed... tough to diagnose as it had no noise.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.