Wireless Networking Rookie Has a Question

Reaction score
I'm new to home networking and would like to wirelessly network an eMac with 2 GB and 1.42 GHz speed and a new MacBook. I would also like to have a wireless printer on this network that is available for use by both computers. What hardware is needed in each computer? What other equipment would I need to buy to make this work? Thanks.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
With the requirement of a wireless printer, you could do one of two things.

1. Buy an inexpensive wireless router from one of the mainstream vendors (Linksys, D-Link or Netgear). Buy a wireless network adapter for the eMac (I don't believe they have one built in). Buy a printer with built-in wireless printing.

2. Buy an Apple Airport Extreme. This has a built in print server that will work well with your Macs (aftermarket wireless adapters for printers are very hit or miss with the Mac) and connect your existing printer to it. Buy a wireless adapter for your eMac. The upfront cost for the Airport Extreme is a little higher, but it will pay off in that you won't have to buy a new printer - it's also really easy to use and setup on a Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac core2Duo 2.4Ghz 4GB ram
Note that you could just connect the printer to one of the machines (probably the emac) and enable printer sharing to allow the macbook to see it over the network. In this case all you need is a router (not necessarily airport, cheaper one will be fine) and an adapter for the emac.

Reaction score
Hardware & Software need for wireless network

My question is essentially the same as the one originally posed here on this thread. But I note that it has been two years since this question was posed and I have an iMac running OS X 10.6.3. Se let me pose the question again.

I have an iMac running OS X 10.6.3, 2.95 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB 1067MHz DDR3. I am hooked up to Hughes.net satellite for my internet connection. My computer is in the basement of our two story house. I am buying my wife a MacBook Pro and want her to be able to connect to Hughes net in her study on the third floor.

What hardware and/or software do I need to purchase so that she can access the internet from the ground floor (the kitchen, for example) and also from her office on the third floor?

Any advice on hardware purchases and necessary software and pertinent information would be appreciated.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.