RAW files and Aperture 2.0

Reaction score
I bought my Nikon D300 DSLR earlier this year and have been taking photo's when I have time. To this day I have yet to shoot in RAW. Thought I might start now. What I'd like to know is what happens to the RAW files once you've opened Aperture 2.0 and click "import all selected files"? Are there any settings in Aperture 2.0 that should be set prior to importing? And does Aperture 2.0 take care of the RAW conversion automatically? As if I were importing JPG files.

Del

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2xQuad core 2.8GHZ
I own two D300s (and a D200) and Aperture handles D300 RAW files really well.

When you import a RAW Aperture produces a thumbnail and a preview from the jpeg that is embedded in the RAW file. A RAW file after import will still be a RAW file (its important to understand that bit) and any versions within Aperture are just previews of how a jpeg will look after the RAW file has had the adjustments applied to it.

OP
D
Reaction score
I own two D300s (and a D200) and Aperture handles D300 RAW files really well.

When you import a RAW Aperture produces a thumbnail and a preview from the jpeg that is embedded in the RAW file. A RAW file after import will still be a RAW file (its important to understand that bit) and any versions within Aperture are just previews of how a jpeg will look after the RAW file has had the adjustments applied to it.

Hello Del,

Only 2 D300's?? :) Seriously it is a very good camera. I've been happy with it so far.

Thanks for the quick explanation. You're saying that even if you didn't specify in our D300's to save in RAW+JPG there is a JPG embedded in the RAW file?

Another question. Some people like the save the RAW file, once post-processed, in one of a few formats (e.g. JPG, TIFF, and PSD). How is this done? After you're done tweaking your image while still in RAW form you then _____ ?

P.S. Don't know why I didn't get an e-mail notification of your post Del. Odd. Hope I get your next post and any one else's who might post.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.