256 bit ASE encryption using disk utility question..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" mac book pro, 2.4GHz core 2 duo, 2G ram, NVIDIA GeForce 8600GT, 256 RAM, 160G HD @7200rpm
hey guys, so i may be missing something here, but i have some files i've encrypted using 256 bit ASE in disk utility. I make a disk image, select my encryption, enter a password, and then my image is made, i mount it, add my files, then eject the disk image.

I then go to mount it and it just runs like a regular un-encrypted disk image would. i can select files, move them around, and even run them without so much as a admin password, let alone my 20 digit encyrption password. Am i doing this is the wrong order or is this the nature of disk utilities "encryption" and if the latter is the case i fail to see the point of offering an encryption protocol that should take a century to hack open with absolutely no security measures.

thank you in advance.

-volta-

OP
volta88
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" mac book pro, 2.4GHz core 2 duo, 2G ram, NVIDIA GeForce 8600GT, 256 RAM, 160G HD @7200rpm
bumpity bump. anyone? this is killing me.

OP
volta88
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
last bump, still haven't found anything elsewhere.

Reaction score
hey guys, so i may be missing something here, but i have some files i've encrypted using 256 bit ASE in disk utility. I make a disk image, select my encryption, enter a password, and then my image is made, i mount it, add my files, then eject the disk image.

I then go to mount it and it just runs like a regular un-encrypted disk image would. i can select files, move them around, and even run them without so much as a admin password, let alone my 20 digit encyrption password. Am i doing this is the wrong order or is this the nature of disk utilities "encryption" and if the latter is the case i fail to see the point of offering an encryption protocol that should take a century to hack open with absolutely no security measures.

thank you in advance.

-volta-
late, but oh well. When creating the disk image the default is to "remember password" in the key ring. This is still secure since you need to be logged in to access, but not as secure. Recreate the image and uncheck that box. You will then be prompted to type in password.

Jeff

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.