My internets so slow:( msn not working P2P not working:(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC G4 Digital Audio,466 MHz, 768 SDRAM
i've just moved into halls at a new university. my internet worked fine in my previous uni, however this one is weird, i had to write loads of stuff in the proxy settings to get it to work but it still only works with safari and its sooooooooooooo SLOOOOOOOOOOOOWW!!

Messenger, Azurus even firefox don't work, infact firefox goes straight to my university's ethernet and wont go on actual websites.

why is this?! its really really annoying!

does anyone know why its bein so crap? and what do i do to make it work normally.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thanks for the reply, but this is all abit over my head, what is it?

Reaction score
thanks for the reply, but this is all abit over my head, what is it?

Basically this will overide the DNS server supplied by your ISP (Airport can be a little flakey on some of these) with a public one .

Instructions for how to do this on Leopard:-

Open System Preferences/Network/Airport (In left hand pane)/Advanced (Button at bottom)/DNS (Tab along top)/Click + sign and type in new DNS address (For Open DNS add 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.222.222)/Click OK/Click Apply

Also try 4.2.2.1 and 4.2.2.2 as these will automatically connect you to the DNS server that it is physically nearest to you.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thanks, ive done all this now and its made my web pages come up abit faster, but videos still barley load atall, i get either a slide show of still frames every 5 seconds and/or the video will only load for a fraction of the loading bar.

i also still cant use Messenger or anything like messenger, firefox or torrents.

i installed the newest firefox just incase, now it wont even go onto the ethernet, just a blank page what ever you do:(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.4GHz 4GB, iPod Classic 120GB
Welcome to college, I just moved to Eastern Michigan University in September. Many Universities have decided to implement ALOT of security on their systems. For example... My university makes you install a client called Bradford Persistent Agent, basically Bradford decides what it wants you to do and not to do.

Rules:
No torrents, if data is transferred using the torrent protocol internet to your room gets shut off for 20 minutes (to "isolate the problem") meaning your Xbox internet and your roommates internet, which he will get ******. If you try this wirelessly your MAC address gets banned for 20 minutes.

No P2P, same consequences as torrents

You MUST have up to date anti-virus software and definitions installed, yes even on a Mac.

You must have all the latest updates to your computer.

and blah blah blah a bunch of other dumb rules, yes I understand why they are there, but come on!

#2 It could be slow because so many people are connected at once, this happens to me quite often, try switching between your schools ethernet and wireless and see which is faster.

#3 Your school may require you to log into their network with some sort of school ID, I know I have to authenticate every time I connect to the wireless on campus. That may be why you are transferred to the intranet.

#4 Maybe your school doesn't punish you by killing your internet for 20 minutes, but rather throttling your connection to a very low speed. Try closing any P2P and torrent programs, wait a few hours (to nix any possible punishment times you have been assigned) and try again.

If all else fails call your University's help IT help desk, they are usually idiots, even more so when it comes to Macs but it's worth a try.

If THAT even fails, find a nerd on campus especially one carrying around a Mac.

Good luck

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.