Mac OS 8.x on new switches

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook, PowerBook, iPhone
I am having problems using new network hardware with older macs running OS 8.x. I have many happy PCs and OSX macs on the network so know that the backbone and new hardware are working properly. Unfortunately, I am using discontinued mission critical software that won't work beyond OS8 so I'm stuck with it for now.

Any insights into this problem?

Thanx...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac core2Duo 2.4Ghz 4GB ram
That looks like a good guide. Just ignore the part where it says you need an ip address starting with 138.253. Yours will most likely start with 192.168.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook, PowerBook, iPhone
I appreciate the replies, however...

OS8 computers may have a hardware or software issue that defies modern network hardware. It does not seem to be a software configuration problem but instead an actual incompatibility at the TCP/IP physical and/or data link layer. I have talked to some people that acknowledged the problem but no one that overcame it. The problem may not exist with all network hardware.

I was hoping to talk to someone that has [recently] successfully configured a OS8/OSX/PC network and could shed light on my problem.

:\

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.