iTunes library on ext. HD

Reaction score
Ok, I used super duper to backup my Mac's HD onto a USB external HD. The internal HD is getting really full so I'm wondering if I can delete the iTunes library off the Mac and just run it from the backup on my USB HD. I know it is possible to backup just the iTunes library onto an external disk and use it from there, but like I said, I used Super Duper to back up all my files, not just the iTunes library.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Unibody
You should be able to. Before you delete your local library just start up iTunes while holding the 'option' key, from there select the library on your external and see if it works. But like I said, it should work.

OP
J
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I tried what you said but I'm not sure exactly what file to open from the USB hard drive. Can you point me to the right direction?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Unibody
/Users/your_username/Music/iTunes/iTunes Library

OP
J
Reaction score
Thanks. One more question. If I do this will I be able to manage the library just as if it was on my local HD? (syncing iPod, importing music, etc.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Here's the low down on using iTunes on an external

Keeping your iTunes collection on an external

The following assumes you want to keep all your iTunes music and movies on an external disk and ensure new music is always stored on the external drive.

First, you need to consolidate your iTunes Library to a folder you have chosen of the external drive.

Select the command consolidate library from the Advanced Menu. This will copy all your itunes media to the external folder and link the itunes library file to it

The files will now be on the external while the library.xml file (the index as it were) will still be in the Users > Me > Music folder of your mac.

If you want this file on the external as well as well, copy it to external iTunes folder, start itunes with the alt key pressed and you will have the option to select the library file now on the external

Select the library file you just copied and now both your music and the library are on the external

You can now delete the old Itunes folder off your mac

You can also use the choose library dialogue to switch between a large music collection on the external and a smaller music folder on the mac if you wish

OP
J
Reaction score
This is confusing. I don't really understand the part about consolidating the library. I've made a backup of my entire HD so why do I need to do that?

OP
J
Reaction score
I now have the library running off the external HD and it looks like its working fine. I opened the library file from the ext.hd and have checked some songs to make sure they're playing alright and off the external.

Now, a question. If I want to import new music to the library on the usb hd do I just do it like i normally would and it will be written to the external disk?

Also, will it work to sync my iPod from the external?

Is it safe to now delete the library from my local disk?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
If you used the consolidate command then all new music will point to the external usb disk, since that is what is set in itunes preferneces

Yes you can sync your iPod from the external - as I do

It is safe to delete the local library, but give it a couple of days just in case, and add some music to make sure its all going to the external

OP
J
Reaction score
Thanks for all the help. I went ahead and deleted the local library, everything seems fine so far...hope it stays that way.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook 2 GHZ, Core 2 Duo, 1GB Ram, 80GB Internal HD, 500GB External
Simple go to iTunes, Preferences, Advanced and were it says iTunes folder location just locate were your iTunes library>Music folder is then your good to go

OP
J
Reaction score
Yes thanks I think I have it working now, haven't tried syncing or adding music but it seems to be working well. I now have 56GB of free space whereas before I had less than 2GB.

Reaction score
Something to add..

Guys, i have something to ask following this on.

When consolodating the i-tunes libary to an external hard drive, does it take the album artwork aswell?

Thanks

Jonathan

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.