G5 PPC won't power on

Reaction score
for weeks my computer would get the dreaded blue screen upon startup, I would unplug/plugin and it would work beautifully.

a few weeks later, it wouldn't wake from sleep mode, and I'd have to unplug/plugin, before it worked again beautifully.

recently, it did not powerup at all- no blue screen- no white light- nothing. I opened her up and hit the reset power system button and it worked.

I then did not shut her off at all for about a week or two (I did, however, restart a few times in that time) and I woke up this morning and she was powered off.. and she won't come back, not even after another reset of the power system.

of the four LED lights, #1 is lit and is green- the others lie dormant, like the machine.

I assume it was a surge that powered her down- my humble town's electricity does provide those from time to time.. so, is this a power supply issue? have I treated her too horribly and she needs a rest? haha.. I hope it isn't a logic board issue as it seems to be with some of these other blue screen problems..

I have a 2ghz G5 iMac with 1gb of RAM running the latest update of Leopard.. any help would be much appreciated.

be well!
vc

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
You've obviously got power to the G5, as evidenced by the single green light, but I suspect a fault in the power supply unit. If you know what you're doing, you can use a multimeter to test power-in vs power-out at either end of the PSU.

Are you using a surge protector in the circuit between wall socket and whatever else is connected in your computer setup? If not, it's good, though not infallible, protection.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.