got a new external and have some questions.

Reaction score
alright, well i just got a WD 500gb My Book and so far it has treated me well but i have a few questions.

#1. Is it possible for me to only back up a select few folders. i have about 100gb of music and video that i would rather not lose. if i could have a daily backup of those i would be just thrilled.

#2. I burned all my movie files to DVD's as data to free up some space on my OS Drive. Now i want to put those onto my external only it wont allow me to drag and drop them off the dvd. it will on my brothers pc but not on my computer. what gives?

Reaction score
1) The External should come with a backup program. I used that to select folders for it to back up. The only thing is when the backup program is running it uses a huge amount of RAM so you'll have to turn it on only when you want to back up.

OP
G
Reaction score
that would be just awesome if i didnt already delete that from the harddrive. haha. whoops.

can i get it from the WD site?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core 2 Duo, PPC G4
Contact WD by email and they'll send you a link to the file or tell you how to download it. I have the same drive as you but I've never used WD's software. I took one look at it and removed it from my drive.

If you're using Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard), use Time Machine for data backups. If you're still using 10.4, download Carbon Copy Cloner and use that for scheduled backups of selected files. If you need help with CCC, I have some videos on my website for using it. They're not great videos, but they'll show you how to select files and back them up.

Video Tutorials for Using Carbon Copy Cloner

If you need help with Time Machine, post back here or contact me offline and I'll post a tutorial on one of my websites.

Claire

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.