• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Snow Leopard coming in Q1 2009?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Unibody
Hmmm, well as you say, it seems fairly legit considering it came from one of the directors of engineering.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I'll be first in line - even at full price. Would love to see a version of Leopard that runs just as fast as Tiger did.

OP
L
Reaction score
You think Leopard runs faster than Tiger? I used Tiger for a few months before upgrading to Leopard and Leopard seemed really fast to me. I guess it depends on RAM and the amount of space left on the HDD.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I'll be first in line - even at full price. Would love to see a version of Leopard that runs just as fast as Tiger did.

Theoretically, it could be faster than Tiger

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.4 GHZ, 2G Ram, 160 GB HD| iPhone 4
Well we will see. I think with mobile me fresh in their minds it wouldn't be out of the question for Apple to push back the release date.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MB 2.1GHz, 4Gb RAM, 120Gb white
I read this yesterday and it seems pretty valid. Because of Apple's strict deadlines for certain fuctions that must go in Snow Leopard they have been able to let Snow Leopard be released sooner than we thought. Previously most people assumed that SL would be released at WWDC 09' but not it will be even sooner.

Mac OS X Snow Leopard (10.6) Due in 1st Quarter of 2009? - Mac Rumors

I read the same article, as this is my first mac i just started with Leopard, I've pretty much just gotten used to it so i hope not much will be changed, but I'm all for the tiger speed :p my mac expert friend has informed me that it was fairly faster and has been talking about Snow Leopard for awhile now :D.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You think Leopard runs faster than Tiger? I used Tiger for a few months before upgrading to Leopard and Leopard seemed really fast to me. I guess it depends on RAM and the amount of space left on the HDD.

No doubt about it, there was a slight performance hit going from Tiger to Leopard. It was also evident in boot-up times. Boots that were around 15 seconds (20 seconds tops) turned into 45 seconds to a minute or more on the same machine.

OP
L
Reaction score
Oh, I didn't really realize it. There is one thing I miss about Tiger: When in Front Row if I started a .avi or .mpg movie, exited front row and came back to front row to play the same movie it would give the option to start the movie from the beginning or play from where I left off.

This isn't in Leopard at all and I wonder if it will ever come back. This option on comes up now when I play a DVD that I already started. It was just annoying when I'd have to try and remember where I left off each time I had to leave the movie. This is something rather small but Apple still hasn't fixed this due to Front Row's altered structure. Hopefully Snow Leopard really adds faster speeds and stability to the OS.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah, I liked that Front Row transition effect too. I think they changed it to resemble the AppleTV. I've read a number of similar complaints - apparently, there's even a way to restore the Tiger version back to Leopard, but it can cause some unintended issues as a result. It's a shame though, that was some sweet eye candy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
alienware,mbp,imac(3),blackjack,Hp running macintosh,

dont we all :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.4 ghz/Iphone 4/Ipod 4th Gen/More Coming I'm sure, too bad for my wallet ;)
Since my first OS is Leopard I have a question. Does Apple release yearly OS? Judging from the chart, I'd say no but still, every 2 years is pretty often. I understand that Snow Leopard is going to be a big jump from Leopard but if it wasn't that big of a deal would it be free? For instance, if you had bought Tiger and then Tiger/x86 came out was it free?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Since my first OS is Leopard I have a question. Does Apple release yearly OS? Judging from the chart, I'd say no but still, every 2 years is pretty often. I understand that Snow Leopard is going to be a big jump from Leopard but if it wasn't that big of a deal would it be free? For instance, if you had bought Tiger and then Tiger/x86 came out was it free?

Tiger/x86 only shipped with new machines, there was no retail version, because it was the only version of OS X that ran on Intel at the time.

Apple doesn't have a set schedule per se, but several of the major releases were on 18 month development cycles. Leopard was the glaring exception as it took over two years (as I recall).

Typically, a major release runs about $129. There's been a lot of speculation as to the price of Snow Leopard though, since it's not a "feature" release. If I had to guess, I'd bet it will be less expensive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That would be great if they lowered the price.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.4 ghz/Iphone 4/Ipod 4th Gen/More Coming I'm sure, too bad for my wallet ;)
There's been a lot of speculation as to the price of Snow Leopard though, since it's not a "feature" release. If I

Can you give me an example of a feature release? I understand that Snow Leopard is more about memory management/usage but what were some major features added from Tiger to Leopard??

Edit: nm I decided to do the work myself and look it up. Are there any ideas as what might be to come in version 10.7?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Can you give me an example of a feature release? I understand that Snow Leopard is more about memory management/usage but what were some major features added from Tiger to Leopard??

Leopard added Stacks, Time Machine, Quick Look, Spaces, 3D Dock, additional eye candy, full 64-bit support and improvements to Mail, Photo Both and a number of other built-in applications. Don't expect Snow Leopard to add much of anything in terms of new features. Most of the improvements are transparent to the user except for the performance benefits they should yield for people with multi-core machines.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.66 GHz... Running 10.5.7
Don't expect Snow Leopard to add much of anything in terms of new features. Most of the improvements are transparent to the user except for the performance benefits they should yield for people with multi-core machines.

And probably some new security measures. You know Apple. :Cool:

Reaction score
yup

Yeah I think that they are going to do it. Along with a new Air possibly and imac and mac mini all new

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just curious due to my lack of old school mac knowledge what was the last non feature OS?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP - Core i7 @ 2.66ghz
I just bought my new macbook about 2 weeks ago at best buy, and the Apple Representative there told me that they were seriously thinking about letting 'Snow Leopard' be a free update because it wasn't going to be that big of a deal; Just add more business features, such as Exchange improvements. Thats just what i heard.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.