• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Snow Leopard coming in Q1 2009?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
That's not really what I meant. What I meant was, if the huge RAM was the only thing new that Snow Leopard would bring, then there's no point in getting it unless you're going to upgrade. Leopard was feature filled, that's why so many people bought it. Snow Leopard is going to be a HUGE innovation, sure, but I don't think that many people need 16TB of RAM. (Maybe people who are seriously into photo/video, but I don't think the average user).

If all Apple wanted to do was provide an increase in the amount of RAM the OS could use, then it would release a 10.5.x update and not a whole new 10.x iteration with its own name. It's just common sense that Snow Leopard is going to have more than just one new feature.

Also, to have 16TB of memory, you would need a computer that would literally be the size of a room. That much memory is used by supercomputers, mainframes, and server farms. There is not a single consumer grade motherboard out there that offers anything more than 32GB of memory, let alone 16TB.

jah

Reaction score
lets try to ck the word memory

how about zfs support?
re write the finder?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I thought it will be a move to total 64-bit architecture.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.4 GHZ, 2G Ram, 160 GB HD| iPhone 4
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro (2010) 2.66 12 Core, ATI Radeon HD 5870, 12 GB Ram, MBP i7 2.66 2010, 8GB Ram
In snow leopard they are removing all the PPC component so it will only work on Intel machines. IT WILL NOT RUN ON G5'S OR G4'S. this will make the OS smaller and faster i have already seen a version of snow leopard running on a macbook laptop and it runs fast as it does not have a whole bunch of code that is not needed. it looks the same as Leopard now it is just made directly for Intel Machines. And it will feature full 64 Bit computing power making full use of the 64 Bit architecture in MacBook Pro's and Mac Pro towers

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
In snow leopard they are removing all the PPC component so it will only work on Intel machines. IT WILL NOT RUN ON G5'S OR G4'S. this will make the OS smaller and faster i have already seen a version of snow leopard running on a macbook laptop and it runs fast as it does not have a whole bunch of code that is not needed. it looks the same as Leopard now it is just made directly for Intel Machines. And it will feature full 64 Bit computing power making full use of the 64 Bit architecture in MacBook Pro's and Mac Pro towers

Where did you see this at?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP (2009), White MB (2009), iMac G4
I don't see why removing the PPC code would make the OS much faster, as an Intel Mac never even executes that code, it is just skipped right over. Does the amount of time needed to sort out the Intel code from the PPC code really add up to a significant performance degredation?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Don't be so quick to write off PPC quite yet. There have been reports floating around that Apple will retain PPC support for 10.6. We might have to wait till 10.7 before we see a drop of PPC support. Given the gestation time for each version of OS X, we're looking at a 2011 launch for 10.7, a full five years after the official switch to the Intel platform.

Reaction score
Im on my first mac as well. If i update to snow leopard, will everything on my current version be lost? will i have to reinstall programs like photoshop and all?

Reaction score
Yeah, Snow Leopard's only

I'm still interested in that facial recognition patent someone posted about Apple a while back. The one where it could tell if you're frustrated from the iSight and then pop-up a help dialogue, etc. I'm pretty positive that isn't going to be included though or if we even hear of it again.

Great, so every time my girlfriend gets mad and goes on myspace to vent, my computer will ask her whats wrong?

That would save me a lot of hassle :)

Reaction score
I imagine, that like the other OS Installs, there is some type of update feature. This will allow you to ugrade from your current OS leaving everythying intact. Personally, I just reinstall when i install a new OS just to keep everything fresh and back up my documents and such. Btw, Where did you get Photoshop and for what price... i'm looking for photoshop but i have not found it for a affordable price for well... a college student, haha.

Reaction score
Get it through your school. I got it while attending USF. I forgot what i paid because i payed my tuition and all at the same time, but it is not nearly what it cost retail.

I imagine, that like the other OS Installs, there is some type of update feature. This will allow you to ugrade from your current OS leaving everythying intact. Personally, I just reinstall when i install a new OS just to keep everything fresh and back up my documents and such. Btw, Where did you get Photoshop and for what price... i'm looking for photoshop but i have not found it for a affordable price for well... a college student, haha.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
... Btw, Where did you get Photoshop and for what price... i'm looking for photoshop but i have not found it for a affordable price for well... a college student, haha.

What price do you consider affordable? My school had a sale on CS3 towards the beginning of school for 400 dollars. It was the master collection with student licensing though. CS4 is more or less the same except it's like 500 dollars with the same licensing.

Reaction score
What price do you consider affordable? My school had a sale on CS3 towards the beginning of school for 400 dollars. It was the master collection with student licensing though. CS4 is more or less the same except it's like 500 dollars with the same licensing.

Actually i just looked it up. For just PS CS3 its only $129.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro Unibody - 2.53GHz/4GB/320GB HDD
Will Snow Leopard be leaps and bounds better than Leopard?
I just got my first mac yesterday (alum macbook pro 15" 2.53 GHz) so should i have waited for Snow Leopard?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Will Snow Leopard be leaps and bounds better than Leopard?
I just got my first mac yesterday (alum macbook pro 15" 2.53 GHz) so should i have waited for Snow Leopard?

No one knows that answer because Snow Leopard isn't released yet - and any rumors of release date are just that - rumors. Even still, no you did fine. - if you want to upgrade, it shouldn't be a problem. And if the existing OS sold you on the machine, I don't see that changing even after a newer version comes out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro Unibody - 2.53GHz/4GB/320GB HDD
No one knows that answer because Snow Leopard isn't released yet - and any rumors of release date are just that - rumors. Even still, no you did fine. - if you want to upgrade, it shouldn't be a problem. And if the existing OS sold you on the machine, I don't see that changing even after a newer version comes out.

Thanks...i just hate buying a new computer then the same thing, but better version comes out a month or two later. At least i got the aluminum MBP while it was still new haha. How much do OS upgrades usually cost for these?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Thanks...i just hate buying a new computer then the same thing, but better version comes out a month or two later. At least i got the aluminum MBP while it was still new haha. How much do OS upgrades usually cost for these?

There is some speculation that it won't cost anything or might be substantially reduced.. Normally new versions of OS X are $129, but this one could be different since it's not a "feature release".

There are many inevitable things in life; death, taxes, and a new version of the gadget you just bought coming out just a few months later ;)

OP
L
Reaction score
Well, I personally want to wait until the Macbooks have quad-core processors next year plus Snow Leopard so that I can see how well the OS will utilize the multiple cores of the GPU and processor. Did they say whether or not Snow Leopard will utilize the multiple cores of the GPU as well as the CPU? The laptop I have is getting to the point where it is more of a hinderance than a utility so after 5 years it needs to die. All important computer technologies should be in place, except USB 3.0, by next September so wait till then. Knowing technology something even better will probably be announced by then but I won't wait any longer.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.